Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vBulletins new pricing for upgrades?

This is directed to Cebby, but everyone needs to read this. This could affect us all here.

So Cebby, I am pretty sure you know about the new vBulletin 4.0 coming out and you should know about the NEW price and license agreement. (Right?)

Have you decided what you are going to do?

Not that it is really any of my business but what kind of license do you currently hold and is it active? (I see we are still on the 3.7.1 here. It is a pain to update so I totally understand.)

This is going to be a nightmare I am afraid.

If you are not sure what I am talking about, you need to start reading over at vbulletin.com

The move from 3 to 4 is going to be a shot in the ass. I am REALLY afraid of what the move from 4 to 5 will end up being.

I own my license for vBulletin. It is currently active. (Until Dec 13th 2009) The problem is, once you "upgrade" to ver 4, your owned license is useless.

What's your thoughts?

Also to everyone else on the forum, what this means to you is that this site is going to cost a chunk of cash to update. (About $200) This site does not get much traffic, however, the amount of traffic it gets is quality traffic. I for one do not want to see it go away. Cebby has the option to not upgrade to the latest version, but there are some license issues with patches and updates to the current version. So at some point the site will be old and vulnerable to hackers.

I know most of this means nothing to a lot of you, but if Cebby opts to upgrade to 4.0 (a move I have not yet decided on for myself) then it might be a needed option that some of us step up and donate to the cause. I know Cebby runs other forums and they are all going to cost him now.

I am also looking at changing my forum to another software package, but that too is a nightmare in itself.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Re: vBulletins new pricing for upgrades?

I got the email - I have three owned licenses for vB, although this is the only one I'm using (I might have let the renewal lapse on one tho...) Lemme check...

Yep, I'm down to 2 now. They want me to purchase a brand new license for either $195 or $235 depending on the version I want for the one that lapsed - I don't think so.

Notice the outcry from their customers. Talk about screwing everyone who helped make them what they are today...

I plan to upgrade us to the Publishing Suite - the update to get there is $130 - of course where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

Most of my work is in Joomla these days, so it looks like vB is making their own version of a CMS with the "publishing suite". There are integrations of PHPBB3 with Joomla, but I won't subject everyone to changing - plus I already admin vB and SMF forums - I don't want to learn another one. The best way to assure we retain all of our content is to bend over and take it from vB.

The big question is when will they actually have this thing ready? I have until Oct 30th to pony up.

I know times are tight but I pledge to keep the forum kicking. I will accept any and all help - it would be greatly appreciated. Paypal is payment@toolandfab.com

Contribution sent.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thank you Scott - that was very generous!

Cebby, I would be glad to donate to keep this site up. I don't use outlook(never figured out how to set it up!) so the link doesn't work for me. Can I just go under UserCP and donate that way? Please let me know if this works for you. Somethings I'm not the greatest at with computers!

Scott

You need to have a paypal account to donate.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Some $change sent your way Cebby. Hope it helps.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Thanks for your help Glenn - we are now almost 2/3rds of the way there! Awesome!!

Ponch - send me a PM with how much you'd like to donate and I'll send you a money request via paypal. I don't think you need an account to pay that way.

Alright I think I figured it out! I was clicking on the email you posted which was taking me to outlook express. So I went to paypal and typed in that address and sent money. I'm a little slow with some things but hopefully I did everything right, please let me know you recieved it and I didn't screw something up. Hope it helps, I really like this site.

Scott

Got it Ponch. We're almost there!! Thanks everyone!