Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Cordless Impact Wrenches - Any of them worth the expense?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead
    i have a dewalt 18 volt 1/2" cordless impact. it kicks ass. removes lug nuts with no problems at all.
    That's good to hear - when I can finally afford to outfit the rig, it will likely have a full complement of Dewalt 18v stuff.

I don't like that the DeWalt is only on or off. You can't just sqeeze the triggetr a little to go slow its all or none.

Skip

bought a 24v makita ...no power comes with adapters for 1/4 thru 1/2 .my 18v snap-on 1/2 blows it away..not gheap but worth every penny

i really like the dewalt 14v. its extremely compact, great for assembling shelving, furniture, etc. its got a nice quick change hex coupler on the head, letting you use your choice of socket drive sizes, and also standard hex shanked screwdriver bits. ive also used it for running extremely long, thick diameter screws into laminated wood beams, no problem whatsoever.

I just got a new set of Milwaukee V28 cordless tools and the impact gun has some pretty serious grunt. Those new lithium Ion batteries are sweet. The V28 cordless Sawzall is great, but drains batteries pretty fast cutting DOM tubing. There's no way the 1/2" V28 cordless drill can replace my Hole Hawg, but it's still a lot more convenient that dragging corded tools out to work on vehicles.

I have the Ryobi 18v stuff, anyone know how their cordless impact performs?

Uncle Buck (UB)

Here's a quick roundup (I know this is an old post) from someone who has used most of the ones on the market.

I'm all for cordless impacts in 3/8" drive. I use my 12v Makita constantly. They're incredibly handy on things with a lot of fasteners that are small. Pulling all the hose clamps off the top of our vehicle's turbo lines in order to change sparkplugs is a great example. So is removing and installing a dozen splash pan's each day. Each of those is retained with 7 12mm bolts, and it's much easier to zip them in & out with a cordless impact that use airtools.

A 12V makita battery lasts about a week and a half of everyday use. The LXT 18v units (lithium-ion instead of NiMh) last around a month of daily use, but they're really spendy.

If you want to use your cordless impact at the junkyard to pull a transmission or something, you want a Snap-On. Several guys I work with have them, and they're powerful and last forever... but they're expensive and very bulky. The small motor/body of the other units is one of their beast attributes - a lot of the time the only alternative if a cordless impact won't fit, is an air ratchet. And I just generally dislike air ratchets, even though I own really good ones.

There's a taiwanese cordless impact made by ZNEX that is currently being re-badged by Cornwell, and it holds up really well. Cornwell has their version on sale this month for $190. They're not a big brand, but they're pretty tough. You can find them for well under $200 on eBay fairly often.

The Hitachi and DeWalt and other brand cordless impacts I would lump in with the Makita: Quality units that are all pretty equivalent.

High on the list of 'em, also, is Ingersoll Rand. They have the new IQ series with a metal front housing that has a whole lot of grunt. But it's up there with Snap-On in terms of $$$$. Fortunately, it has resulted in a price drop for their older style, which is a pretty stout, well-made tool. That's probably what I'd buy if I decided I didn't want another Makita when mine died...

But I'll probably get another Makita. Earth-shattering power? No. But priced well, and lasts damn near forever.
    Last edited by TNToy; 02-01-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNToy View Post
    If you want to use your cordless impact at the junkyard to pull a transmission or something, you want a Snap-On. Several guys I work with have them, and they're powerful and last forever... but they're expensive and very bulky.
    I'm thinking junkyard excursions and trail repairs. DMG also recommended this one... Sounds like a winner!

A "trick" I use out in the field when I have to wonder from my van.......get a 5 gal air tank......fill it with the compressor......carry it along with my impact etc......it will last long enough to remove the front lugs on a 7000 lb cap. and under fork lift.....and for hose clamps etc I use my cordless drill......I also have a cordless right angle drill that will put out 144in.lbs........as for the cordless impacts....I had a 3/8 Snap On.......didn't hold up....It was great for tearing apart trannys and T cases.....but I had air right there so not really an advantage......
    Mike
    Last edited by 84ZMike; 02-21-2007 at 06:23 PM.

I used a Snap On 12v 3/8" everyday for about 4 years and then the batteries finally gave out. I about died when I found out how much 3 new batteries were going to cost me. Since I already have about every 18v Dewalt tool and plenty of batteries, I bought a dewalt 18v 1/4" hex inpact. I didn't expect much out of it but I was pleasantly surprised at it's performance. It has almost as much balls as the snap on and is almost half the size and weight. I bought it at Lowes and got a mail in coupon for an additonal battery and a hammer drill. So for $250 I got 3 18v batteries, a charger, the impact driver, and a hammer drill. I'm a happy camper.
    Mac