Weed Whacker Boat Motor

So I've been working on a fun little project that I hope to have ready by the start of duck season this year (Sept 16th)

I'm by no means the first to do this project, in fact I've been following some plans put together by a guy on a waterfowl hunting forum, but I've been able to add some of my own touches to this project.

I picked up a used Ryobi Brush Cutter for a great price and have turned it into a working boat motor.

You'll notice that I had a bit of a malfunction in the video, but I've built another "temp" motor mount out of several thicknesses of laminated plywood while I work on an aluminum version.

Due to the malfunction, I don't have an accurate top speed number yet, but I did hit 3 mph a couple times (per my GPS). I plan to make several longer runs to average the speed.

My wife was filming this from our car as it was POURING, so you'll hear our baby in the background

Here it is before I trimmed off part of the handle.

Here it is mounted on my hunting boat, ready for a test run. You'll notice the handle is cut shorter here. I want to keep the motor as low as possible.

Here's my transom mount.

A side shot showing it's temp set up. I've replaced the silver clamps with bolts, but I'm keeping the orange clamps for a while. I'm too scared to drill holes in my boat!

Here's the other attaching point of the transom legs.

Now I'm painting the housing.

I'm letting the plastic primer cure a couple days before I hit it with color.

I still need to work on the tiller handle. My original set up during the test run didn't work. I also have a twist throttle on it's way right now.

Erich
    Last edited by Erich_870; 08-24-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Re: Weed Whacker Boat Motor

All I see is red "X" boxes. I am sure it's my issue as it has been happening a lot since my IS department upgraded my browser.

I am interested to see this!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    All I see is red "X" boxes. I am sure it's my issue as it has been happening a lot since my IS department upgraded my browser.

I am interested to see this!

Scott
    Bummer! All the pics are hosted on photobucket, so that's probably the reason.

I can see them just fine

Erich

I can see 'um. Neat project!

It's been a fun project so far. I've learned a little about small engines along the way. I noticed the clutch got pretty hot during the test run, so I had to investigate. I may need to replace the clutch drum soon, but I'm going to wait until I have the new throttle and see if it was slipping from not having it at WOT.

Erich

I've been painting pieces and working on a tiller handle. The twist throttle works pretty well for being a cheap and made in China

I'm scraping my tiller mount. I followed the loose set of plans I have for this project, but the design is fundimentally flawed. I'm going to build something stronger and simpler.

Here's a video from today. It's pretty rough due to the tiller mount issues.

Erich
    Last edited by Erich_870; 09-08-2009 at 02:50 AM.