Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hardware storage

I figured I would post this since there isn't much to read on here right now. If you have any ideas I am open. Hopefully will start building in the next couple of weeks. I started this project to organize my nuts and bolts over a year ago but never finished. I bought all the plastic bins used and bought dividers from grainger. I wanted to build a metal rack to slide the plastic bins in. Never took the time to design one and then I found this website and the thread of Mxtras tool boxes and on the 6th page it has a hardware cart. I don't have the money to build the whole cart and don't have the space for one either so I would like to build a metal rack to hold my plastic bins for nuts and bolts. Came to find out Mxtras were pre made drawers which I'm not lucky enough to find any drawers so now I still need to build a rack. But at least Mxtras post gave me some ideas and motivation! Here is a real rough sketch of what I'm going to build in the next couple weeks. Pretty basic "frame" to hold all the plastic bins that hold my hardware.

Attachment 678

Here is a picture of Mxtras storage so you can see what I want to do. It is much nicer than anything I can make but hopefully will serve the same purpose!

Well I just got my dewalt multi cutter saw so hopefully I'll get started soon and have some pictures to post.

Re: hardware storage

Yeah - storing hardware sucks. The drawers I was lucky enough to retrieve from the dumpster were just the ticket.

If I had not used those drawers, I am not sure how - or IF - I would have organized all my fasteners and fittings. They would likely still reside in 50 little bins laying all over the shop.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

It's nice to have the right hardware when you need it instead of running to the store to get it everytime but it can easily turn into a big shop mess. I try to stay organized!

Well I drew up some plans and going to see what it's going to cost in metal. I was originally going to make it out of wood since it's easier for me to work with and probably cheaper but if it's not to expensive I will make it out of metal. Probably be sturdier and last longer.

thanks again for the idea, even if they were pre made drawers.

Keep your eyes on E_bay. With all of the plant and shop closings, finding stuff like this shouldn't be too difficult.

Scott

Well I had some 3/4" plywood left over from some other projects so I decided to just make a shelf out of plywood and see how strong it would be. This project has just been laying on the floor and driving me nuts for almost a year now so after seeing Mxtras organization I had to do something! So I cut down the sheet of ply and used my kreg jig to drill a bunch of pocket screws and glued everything together. I came out surprisingly strong. It is 8 ft. long with one support in the middle. I still have one more layer to put on for now and can go as high as I want in the future. Think this is going to be good for now and alot cheaper than building one out of metal since I had the materials laying around. Thanks again Mxtras for the idea which lit a fire under me to get this done!

Attachment 679

Attachment 680
    Last edited by ponch37300; 08-25-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Shoot - for the money, it looks like a great solution.

Scott

Not as nice as having them all in a cabinet but it fit my budget and at least the trays of nuts and bolts are off the floor.

Here is a cabinet that I put together to handle all those small bits.

I like the idea of cutting oil quarts - I'm going to use that one!

Here's mine. Louvered panels and bins from Northern Tool. Built a frame around it and put some doors on it.