Thread: Trailer Project

Trailer Project

This is a current project,but not my only one. This build doesn't always take priority,so I'll post more pics as I get back to it.

We got ahold of these railroad container trailers for cheap. The frames are weak,as the containers they carry are self supporting. But, everything else is there and the frame makes a good templet to hang your steel. We done the calculations for the steel needed to give us the strength required for our application. This will be a liquid fertilizer trailer when I'm done. Used for nursing spray rigs in the field. It will have 4 tanks piggy-backed in pairs (each holding enough for one pull of our big rigs),a mid deck for hauling chemical totes,and an inductor to mix the chemicals as the rigs are loaded. This isn't something you can buy,as many of my projects go.

They come 48' long,we only wanted 40'. So we cut 30" off the back,and 5' out of the center. Joined the frame back together,straighted out any kinks in the I-beam flanges,and straighted the length of the frame itself. Ready to start slapping on some steel. Sorry for the quality of pics,using my cellphone.

Here I started hanging steel to strengthen the frame. The original beam was a piddly 4x12 with 1/4" flanges and a 3/16" web,about 1/2 the strength we need. The axles however are rated high enough.

Added a 4x4x1/4 sq. tubing above the upper deck frame,then sideplated that to the lower frame. Also added a 1/2x6 top flange the full length,and hung a 5x8 I-beam beneath the main frame for a total of 20" of web.

This frame is now structurally ready for our 80,000 lb. gross load, short of a few X-braces that will go in after the 3" and 4" plumbing is finished. A few pics showing how it ties together. It's almost 3 times as strong now. The bending moment is the greatest about 6' back from the transition,tapering down to almost neutral in front of the axles. So the frame splice isn't an issue now. Metal used so far 1-4'x8' sheet of 1/4", 80' of 1/2"x6" flat,and 2-25' 5"x8" I-beam (1/4" web/3/8" flange).

Now it's time to add the tanks,tank saddles (real pain in the butt),plumbing,mid-deck frame,fenders,and replace the landing gear.

Still have several days work before stripping it down for sandblasting and painting,but am in the middle of another higher priority project. I'll post more next week...hopefully.
    If it where easy everybody would have one.

Re: Trailer Project

Beautiful welds and some nice work.
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

Re: Trailer Project

That is sweet looking