Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll Call!

Re: Roll Call!

slammed? That about says it all. Besides the full time job, which entails some travel during the car show season (some might not call it work, but it is), I've taken in some welding/fabrication jobs (everything from 1929 Whippet Split Rims to 1981 MB quarters and fenders) to offset my hobby garage lease and expenses. Add to that the purchase of a 1972 Vega drag car and my plate is starting to fill up pretty fast. I try to check in once a week if possible...would check in more frequently but there hasn't been much action happening lately.

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    You must be slammed, Cebby. It took you nearly a month to reply to this thread! I honestly figgured you would have been the first reply!

It seems as though everyone is slammed these days. I know I am. Kinda sucks, and I am getting tired of the constant push to get crap done.

Scott
    It's horrible....

During the workdays I'm either neck deep in coding, foraging for business or working on the local athletic association stuff (scheduling and coordination, etc.) I'm the baseball commissioner this year and VP of the organization (will be Pres by August). We've had a lot of rain - as a result I've had to reschedule 41 games so far. My life sucks at times.

My kids are in all sorts of stuff right now which really adds to the craziness...

Oldest (10) plays on 3 baseball teams currently (in-house for our town, in-house for another township, and a 10 year old All-Star team - another to be added shortly) He pitches and plays infield including catcher and bats cleanup. Loads of RBI's and 3 bonafide homeruns so far. He also plays up as a substitute with the 11-12 year old league.

He also plays on two soccer teams - U10 and U12. He's the star goalie and the coaches recently realized that he's a great offensive weapon too. As goalie he can punt the ball nearly the length of the field and has had a couple of near goals from booting it down the field.

He has a ceremony this Sunday where he is being promoted to black belt in karate. During the active sports months they get to karate once or twice a week - during the summer when things die down, they are there 4 days per week. He's almost 5'2" and around 120 lbs.

My middle son (9) is on 2 baseball teams (soon to be 3 with an All-Star team) - also pitches, fields and hits well. Last year as an 8 year old he was called up and pitched. He might be more accurate than my oldest, but doesn't throw with the velocity.

He also plays on the U10 and U12 soccer teams where he plays all positions and has been given the nick-name "boom-boom" for his ability send the ball the length of the field. He's also active in karate - he's about a year out from his black belt.

My youngest (7) is just now getting fired up about sports - it didn't come to him as easily as the other two, but he's improving. He plays manager pitch baseball and is on the U9 travel soccer team. His big interest is swimming - he swam during the winter during basketball season and did very well. He just joined another swim team and is excited about that. He's also active in karate - he's about two years out from his black belt (he started karate at a younger age than the other two, so he'll be a black belt by the time he's 9).

During the fall, substitute basketball for baseball and the schedule is similar - although early fall we have flag football also...

They squeeze school in there also and do well in their studies. No activities until homework is done, so we've got them trained pretty good so far...

Oh - I also lost the space I was "working" on my 4Runner. It is now at my house while I try to clean out my garage to make space for it. Yesterday I received a Code Violation notice in the mail about storage of an inoperable vehicle on my property. It has been here for about 3 weeks.

What really burns my ass about this is that a neighbor across the street has had two pieces of shit in his yard that he has no intention of resurrecting. They've been there since we moved here in 1995. I figure I will fight this, but aside from citing selective enforcement of the code, I don't know what else to tell them. I am carrying insurance on my "project" though (plate registration and inspection are out of date since I had planned to get a vanity plate)

Thumbs down Re: Roll Call!

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Oh - I also lost the space I was "working" on my 4Runner. It is now at my house while I try to clean out my garage to make space for it. Yesterday I received a Code Violation notice in the mail about storage of an inoperable vehicle on my property. It has been here for about 3 weeks.
    Sounds like something that would happen in Sewickley. I knew that some townships in PA were starting to crack down. I thought the state adopted the SEMA uniform legislation on projects?

My HOA (home owners association, or asses depending on my mood) has covenants on number of vehicles, types of vehicles, etc. I make every attempt to violate the parking rules every chance I get, and have for 10 years just to rile them up. My hobby garage is just a short drive away, and back when I had 12 cars, I just rotated them on a regular basis. I'm down to 7 now, so I keep 4 at the house (1 more than allowed) and usually bring 1 of my 2 trailers home (1 open and 1 enclosed) every chance I get. My next door neighbor is on the HOA board and fortunately is cool with everything. He gets nosey idiots who like to call and complain but he just tells them to mind their own business. If it doesn't bother him, it shouldn't bother them. I guess the nice Single Malt Scotch Christmas gifts must be working?

Over at my shop, it's zoned as a commercial building, and most of the residential space is multi-family rental, so I don't have much to worry about. Fortunately, most of the neighbors llike race cars, although the doctor next door is a complete dick and he and I exchanged pleasantries during my move-in day. I've made it a point to be a pain in his tookus every day since. HIs patient parking is directly across an alley from my overhead doors and trailer parking. I tend to park the trailers close to the edge of the alley right-of-way (on purpose,of course). His patients have hit the trailer couplers at least 3 times that I know of...maybe more. Ever see what a coupler does to plastic bumpers when you aren't payng attention? Waiting for the good doctor to meet with one someday soon.

For my projects-in-waiting, I keep them nicely tarped over so as to not create an eyesore, and keep the place as neat as possible. My shop is nicer than most of the surrounding properties, but that usually doesn't make you immune from the township idiots. Fortunately, our town is very, very garage friendly. A contractor down the street built a beautiful, if not enormous carriage house and one of my car club buddies built a huge garage on his property without the slightest peep from the neighbors or the borough. Some places are just funnier than others, I guess when it comes to the car hobby.

Hopefully you'll still be young enough to have some fun once the kids are moved out. They will be moving out someday, right?

I don't have an HOA, good thing for me. But the neighbors call every now and then. I don't know why.

Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

I am really starting to hate having neighbors. I have been wanting to get out to the country on 20+ acres for a few years now. Hopefully soon.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

yes, I agree about the neighbor thing. As a kid, my neighborhood had machinists, electricians and car hobbyists almost in every garage on the block. I grew up with this false perception that every garage should have projects in them...As I got older, imagine my dismay at learning that not everyone had a garage, much less a project to fill it with! I now call those people "disadvantaged".

Last night I worked in the shop until about 11PM. Had both bay doors open and lots of air tool sounds resonating down the alley, mixed with some music as background in between the air tool chorus. Wouldn't have dreamed of making that much racket at my house. Fortunately, the spousal unit stays at the house and doesn't take part in my projects du jour, lest we diminish the matrimonial bliss we've endured(...oops, I meant enjoyed) for the past 20+ years.