Thread: Shop heater

Question Shop heater

Dad is looking for some sort of shop heater. I say just get one of those propane heaters, and keep saw dust away (I play with metal anyway. Unfortunately, he is still stuck around wood), but right now, there have been a set of steel cabinets in there awaiting a coat of Rustoleum spray for over a month now. Unfortunately, when he is free, it is too cold, and he isn't free on the 65+ degree days we have been having. I say bring the stupid thing inside, and I will brush paint them, but that won't work. Also, because he wants to spray these stupid things, any form of propane heater is out. So, what sort of heater to y'all use, that is safe around paint fumes and saw dust? The shop is 36 by 22, 12 feet tall. Has a 7 foot and 10 foot high roll up door on one end, 2 windows on one side, house on the other side, and the back is mostly underground. Short of tapping into the house duct (I see no issue with that) what suggestions y'all got?

Re: Shop heater

Radiant oil filled electric heaters work nice and play well with fumes etc....

I have like a heat pump system that I cut a hole in the wall and installed it. It is in my work shed that is 25X30. It is like a window A/C but it also has a heater in it. Have not had a problem with it in the last three years. If I can remember I will get the brand name from it. I do a lot of wood working in the shed and no fires.

Art

I've been looking at these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Reznor-UDAP-45-V...3%3A1|294%3A50

It almost sounds like you want a furnace system that uses outside air for combustion like in a house.

He has been thinking about some sort of electric resistance heater, so I guess that would be similar to an electric furnace.

The only issue with electric heaters is installing the water cooling system on your electrical meter! Those things use some serious amps - something to consider.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I thought about getting one of these, http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Categ...tCategoryID=24. I haven't done a bunch of looking into them but the idea is good.
    Just my thought

I use a smaller Modine forced hot water heater separately zoned from my boiler. My garage is 24x28 and VERY well insulated. It does just fine. Although dust does build up in it every now and again. I just blow it out with air.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus

Well, he decided to go with my idea to divert some of the downstairs house heat into the shop. However, just as soon as he bought the ducting to do so, the nice Ga. weather decided to jump up to the high 60s and low 70s. Don't ya just love parents? And weather.