Thread: Shop heater

Shop heater

It is getting cold in the shop and I don't want to go out there until I get a heater. I am having problems finding a suplier though. Is my best bet to order on online, and if so who is reputable?

BTW: what I am looking for is an electric with around 17,000 btu's.
    Never take your self or your job seriously, the works of your hands however, are to be held at the utmost regard.

I swear I used to be cool.

Re: Shop heater

How big is your garage? I can't help with a supplier but I am curious how large your space is. 17K sounds tiny.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

It is about a 1.5 x 1.5 bays, but it has a fairly decent loft for storage. This place is just me doing my stuff, so it isn't a real problem. I am just getting it set up now. It is kind of sad to move into here from my 40 x 80 shop, but there will be less head aches here.

I used an online heater calculator, and I have been looking at a few others today and my initial estimates might have been a little conservative, but 17k is certainly the smallest that I would go. I would really like about twice that.... then again I have built a wood/oil burner in a shop that was about -5* inside, so that we could start working.
    Never take your self or your job seriously, the works of your hands however, are to be held at the utmost regard.

Do you have natural gas or will you be using propane, Kero?

You could always just go to Lowes or HD and get a ReddyHeater - I prefer the propane ones as they stink a lot less than the Kero fired ones. Both are effective.

I have a 35K BTU unit I use in a 16'X24' closet (shop) - it heats it from 30ish to 80ish rather quickly - maybe in 20-30 mins.

I have a 60K BTU in my basically uninsulated commercial shop - 40'X50X16' - it runs for about two hours to go from 30ish to 60ish. It's a tad too small for that size space in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I don't have NG, I was planning on going with electric heat. Going out to get fuel in the middle of a project is the worst.

There is a combination heat/Ac system on the market that you would have to cut a hole in the wall. Sort of like a mini heat pump. My neighbor have on in his shed and went with it do to working a lot with wood.

Art