Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cord or not

Cord or not

What dose everyone think about cordless tools? Is messing with batteries better than dragging a cord around. They always seem to run outta juice when im about half way through the job.

Skip

Re: Cord or not

I think it depends on what the tool is and what the job is. For example, I am a frim believer in Cordless Drills, but I don't believe in battery powered circular saws. I've never used a battery circ saw, I just have a preconceived notion that they would be worthless. I guess I should try one some time...

I think anything that has to go high speed for extended periods is better being corded. I had a cordless Dremel and a cordless Rotozip - they were both awful.

Cordless does not have the rpm's that a corded tool does. If you are sanding and want a perfect job use a electric or air sander. Same with a drill, if you need the rpm's use electric. I have all three and I use the cordless a lot out side most of the times, but that is on small jobs. Saw's are the same, if yoy are cutting a large pice of wood use electric for the rpm's or you will burn the cordless and then it is just junk. Hope this helps some.

Art

If you buy cordless buy good stuff, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Hilti, are all good. Get 18V or better and an extra battery. I would not reccomend a cordless circular saw (one came with my makita 18v set) and the 18v sawzalls are cool and very handy but only have 50% the power of a Milwaukee super sawzall.

I have an 18v Ryobi circular trim saw and an 18v compound miter saw. I really like both, and as long as you buy them after you already have the corded versions you will enjoy them too! Just do not expect to put the same demands on them as you do the corded version and you will grow to love the convenience of the cordless saws for smaller jobs.

Uncle Buck (UB)

I have only used my cordless circular saw twice - both times it was a big time saver and convenient but it was not something that could not have been done with a corded tool.

I agree that the cordless drill is about the most valuable in the cordless tool family - the cordless sawsall is one handy MF, too.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

It would be hard for me to express my love for my cordless drills. They do everything I ask. I didn't spend a ton. Just your garden variety Black and Decker Firestorm. I got the kit with the drill and circ saw. I also love my circ saw. I've mowed through pressure treated lumber and it has plenty of ommph. It will do a mess of 2x4's on one charge. It's small, and light, so I get a much more accurate cut with it than I do a full sized circ saw. And it's handy as hell if you need to cut some sheet lumber like plywood. I don't know about you, but halfway across a sheet of plywood, my cord always gets stuck on the edge of the wood. That pisses me off. The cordless saw just mows on through. If cordless tools have a negative side, it's the price of replacment batteries. I recently had my charger die. And of my 2 batteries, one no longer holds a charge. To buy a new charger and one battrery, will cost more than just buying another drill/saw combo kit. And since B&D uses a different battery now, if I do buy a new kit, I end up with batteries that won't fit in my old tools. So I'll have 2 useless drill and one useless circ saw. I hate tools I can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    It would be hard for me to express my love for my cordless drills. They do everything I ask.

Too much information , here !!!! They don't get dressed up in stockins and garters, do they?? ROFLMAO !!!
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuj
    I don't know about you, but halfway across a sheet of plywood, my cord always gets stuck on the edge of the wood. That pisses me off.
    This bugs me too, but I haven't gotten a cordless yet. I have a PC magnesium framemaster (left hand blade) that I've sawn what seems like miles of board...

If I ever upgrade from my 18v Makita cordless drill, I'll get some sort of combo kit with a cordless saw.

I have a Bosch 18v and my installer has a DeWalt 18v circular saw.

IMO they are worth it, if you do ONE or TWO cuts in a plywood sheet.

Otherwise, get the cord, and throw it over your shoulder & behind ya like a REAL MAN !! LOL
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!