Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Keep an eye on your stuff, guys!

Guess I'm lucky that we do not have something like that happen in the neighborhood where I live, but in Baltimore City they have had people cutting down light poles for the scrap money. Guess the question is how can someone cut those poles down without being seen?

Art

And the better question is what the hell is wrong with the people at the scrap yards? Are they really stupid enough to think that the stuff they see come in was obtained by legit methods? Please. Nobody scraps a fricking light pole except the State, you morons. They are as bad as the shitsickles that actually do the theft.

On an even worse note - the yard behind my shop was broken into last night. I kid you not. The assholes cut the fence and cut open a storage container. Unfrickingbelievable. They didn't get anything that I could find tonight. My biggest concern is that the back of the building has certain insecurities (hidden from the street).

I have an alarm on the building so I don't think they will hang around if they do get in. I just hope like hell I catch them if they do. I will not hesitate to blow their damned kneecaps three feet away from their legs.

It's gonna be a sleepless night. I am off to go check on the shop. Again. I am going to hook up the 180Db siren. I did not hook it up when I put the alarm in because it was too painful (seriously!) to test out the system. It's getting hooked in TONIGHT.

I will follow up tomorrow night, guys.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by blaserman View Post
    Guess I'm lucky that we do not have something like that happen in the neighborhood where I live Art
    YET. It seems to be exploding everywhere so please don't think you are immune, Art - I would hate to see you blindsided.

Please keep a close eye on your property. It's getting really bad. I hear at least two stories a week from just the folks I know, and that's not that many.

Ok. Off to hook up my eardrum breaker...

Scott

The place I'm working on my 4Runner got hit once before the alarm got installed. The thieves have stayed away from the inside of the building since that install.

However, outside, the owner of the building had a (car) race trailer parked - loaded with tools and a padlock through the tongue. Someone came up, cut the lock off, hooked up the trailer to a truck or something and just drove away with it. Never recovered. It was a unique custom trailer and would be easy to spot if it resurfaced - unfortunately, it never has.

We have a lot of teen's in the neighbor and they keep a eye out on peoples things. Just last weekend I had one knock on my door to let me know I had left my window down on the van. Most other teen's would have taken everything out of the van.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by blaserman View Post
    We have a lot of teen's in the neighbor and they keep a eye out on peoples things. Just last weekend I had one knock on my door to let me know I had left my window down on the van. Most other teen's would have taken everything out of the van.

Art
    This is so bad. tsk tsk.

It looks like we have hit a new low.

Thieves are now stealing stuff from cemeteries!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25707334/

Africkinmazing.

Scott

The dirtballs have taken them from the VA cementaries here. I would love to get them in my sights with my CX4 Strom. "BANG"

Well - I had forgotten about this topic until this morning.

I got a call from my state Senator. I had written him a letter concerning imposing more stringent legislation regulating scrap metal and pawn shops. He apparently asked for legislation to be drafted, but apparently legislation was already in place by the time he was heard.

Here is the reply I recieved from Senator Quayle's secretary:

We just wanted to let you know that based on your e-mail of January 28, 2008, Senator Quayle recently filed a request for drafting of legislation. We were unable to file it last year because the deadline for filing new legislation had passed.

However, based on the following e-mail which was received from Legislative Services, Senator Quayle has withdrawn the request. We hope that you will agree that there are laws already in place.

Mary

Here is the response Senator Quayle received from Legislative Services:

To: fquayle@cox.net
    Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:41 PM
    Subject: LD 6736; pawnbrokers and scrap metla processors

Senator Quayle,

You requested that legislation providing for pawnbrokers and scrap metal processors to require a government issued form of identification from the person offering the item or scrap metal for sale. In addition the legislation would provide that each pawnbroker and scrap metal processor be required to use a form of payment that verifies a mailing address and that record audits be performed to ensure that dealers are complying with the record keeping requirement. Based on current statutes regulating pawn brokers and scrap metal processors, I do not think that the legislation is necessary.

There are two separate statutes that regulate pawn shop dealers and scrap metal dealers. Under Section 54.1-4009, the pawnbroker must record at the time of each transaction the full name, address, telephone number and driver's license number or other form of identification of the person selling the item. In addition the pawn broker must document verify the identity by requiring the seller to provide government-issued identification cards, such as a driver's license or military identification card. Section 59.1-136.3, requires all scrap metal processors, when purchasing scrap metal from any unauthorized scrap seller, to get the sellers driver's license or other government issued current photographic identification that includes the full name, current address, date of birth and social security or other recognized number.

While neither statute provides for record audits of pawn brokers or scrap metal processors, all records of their transactions must be made available to a law enforcement officer upon request. A pawnbroker who fails to comply with the record keeping requirement is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. Any scrap metal processor who negligently fails to comply may be assessed a civil penalty of up to $7,500 for each violation. A knowing violation of the statute by a scrap metal processor is a Class 1 misdemeanor. I am attaching the two record keeping provisions for your review.

Based on all of this, I think the concerns of your constituent are already addressed. After you have had the opportunity to review this information let me know how you wish to proceed.

So the laws are in place. What else can be done???

Scott