Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building an 8x10 room in my shop

Moved into a new shop space and I need to build a 8x10 room inside the shop to heat/cool for a creature comforat space and to store some things that I don't want metal dust all over.

I'm just going to frame up a room as I think I can handle that but I do have some questions.

Do I really need a sill of treated lumber?

How should I secure the frame to the slab?

What kind of door should I get?

What kind of window to see into the shop?

What about the ceiling?

I want a decent room, no need for sheetrock just pressboard walls with some insulation but no need for anything extravagant or expensive. I'm looking for a CHEAP build here but adequate for my needs.

I already have portable AC/heat unit to use...all I have to do is vent it out the wall with with a dryer vent.

I welcome experiential insights.

Thanks.

WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    Toyota 4x4 Parts and Custom Fabrication
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

September Sale of the Month - SAS KITS

Used Parts for Sale

Re: Building an 8x10 room in my shop

I'd use the metal wall studs.....they are made just for this type of room.....as long as you don't want to store anything on top of it they will work fine.......as for windows and a door.....I'd check at Lowes / HD in the bargain area outside....some times they have returns / damaged stock for cheap.....another place would be a mobile home manufacture / a local contractor that may have just finished / is about to start on some upgrades.....
    Mike

If you are putting wood onto concrete, yes, you really should use treated lumber. Do you have to? No, and it will not likely cause YOU any problems. But for the few extra dollars, I would go PT. (I am assuming here you are talking about the sole plate of the wall. Sill would be the bottom of your window. Not trying to be smart, just trying to teach. )

You can secure the sole plate to the slab in a couple of ways. The easiest is to use hardened nails in a framing gun and shoot it down, if that is not an option, then next would be a .22 caliber nail gun to shoot nails in. They sell these at HD or Lowes and they come in a few styles from the kind that you hit with a hammer to the kind that shoot by trigger and reload automatically. If you don't want to go that way, then next I would say tapcons. They are those blue screws made to screw into concrete. The final option would be to use a redhead. (NO NOT THAT KIND. LOL!) It is an expansion bolt. You drill a hole into the concrete, pound it into the hole and tighten the nut. Which ever option you choose, remember that you want it to hold well. A loose sole plate can cause all kinds of problems.

If you are planing to heat and A/C it (as I see you are) then I would recommend an exterior insulated door. HD/Lowes has a non-windowed pre-hung door for about $100. It even comes with the sill already mounted to the door frame. I would do like Mike said and watch the bargain bins.

The window, you may be able to find in the bargain bin too. But there is also a really cheap line of windows at the box stores that should work well for you. I want to say they are around $40 but it has been a while since I bought any.

When you ask about the ceiling, I don't know if you mean to cover it, or to span it. With an 8' span you can get away with nothing more than 2X4s for the joists if you are not going to put anything up there. (And when I say that, I mean it. NOTHING!) I would suggest doing 2X10 on 24" centers and putting down a layer of 3/4 particle board on the top. This way you can store some stuff up there. But don't go storing motors and transmissions up there. LOL!

If you meant as far as inside covering, find a local lumber yard (not a HD or Lowes) and get 1/4 drywall. It is light and will give you a nice look. I think the 1/4 drywall would be cheaper than even the pressboard, will look nicer and help the room be brighter.

Hope this helps, and as always, your mileage may vary.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Good posts!

Just to add a few bits:

In addition to an exterior door, strongly consider insulating the walls/ceiling. It will help contain your conditioned air and keep it quieter when you are fielding customer phone calls (so when the compressor kicks on, your customers can still hear you...).

For a window, check with any local replacement window manufacturer - they likely have some mistakes that they will part with for a song - inoperable window would make sense here.

Overbuild for power/data. Instead of single duplexes for power, put quad boxes in - you can never have too many outlets in an office. In addition to your Cat5/6 wiring, consider future proofing the data wiring by running flexible conduit in the walls with a pull string in it (ending in the boxes where your data wiring terminates).

I'd recommend building in a desk out of MDF (laminated for thickness) or laminate covered particle board. Much more efficient use of space and better bang for the buck than using freestanding furniture. When you have a plan together with the door/window locations, I can layout the desk/etc for you and work up plans for you to build it (been in that business for over 20 years).

I am planning on insulating for usre but nothing quite so high tech as you guys are dreaming about...just a simple room on the interior of my shop for AC/heat to get a relief from the elements in the shop and a bit of storage away from the metal dust that gets on everything. No phone, no internet, just basically a small office or a big closet. Maybe some day I can expand.

I will still have my computer and office files at my home office space...where it is clean. My cell phone is my business phone and it has all the web capabilities so I can use it if need be at the shop.

Thank for the tips guys!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-30-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

Used Parts for Sale

Well...

I have decided to frame in the whole back of the shop for the office/storage.

Roughly 8x20 (almost 20)

Treated lumber on the concrete with concrete nails...easy to do and I don't need but a couple handfulls.

I have a nail gun for the framing so that should go fast. I'm just going to build things in 8 foot sections and secure it together so I can get it all together by myself or with one other set of hands.

2x10s for the roof with some 3/4 top decking so I can have a party on the 2nd floor.

I found a bling exterior 36" door tonight for $150.

Put in the 36" wide door, run the wiring for plugs, lights and the AC then insulate sheetrock the inside and I will only have to panel the front side as the rest will be against the insulated outer walls.

Find some cheapo carpet someone doesn't want and put it in and I'll be set.

Starting tomorrow morning as I figure I can frame it all in and the wiring in a day by myself no problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

Used Parts for Sale

I'd say away from carpet. It will be destroyed within a week.

Go VCT...

Sounds good. I hope it all goes well for you.

I suggest buying 92 5/8" precut studs for the walls and don't forget to overlap your second top plate. It makes all the difference in the world as far as stiffening the walls.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Just a few pictures with my cell phone but I'm making progress. I just got power Saturday and I'm working on framing up a clean storage room/office to store parts, keep supplies and have a small office space along with some AC/heat. It takes up the back of the shop space and is about 8x20. I will have storage on top of the room for other parts and the like.

The total space is about 20x40 and is all the room I need now to do whatever as outside there is about a 10 foot concrete apron in front and a huge gravel lot and storage for any other Toyotas I happen to bring home :hillbill: and my trailer(s).

I hope to have everything finished out this week and be back to full capacity and more real soon. It will give me the extra room to do a LOT more fabriation and other off-road stuff. I'm really excited about it...and the wife was all for it...in fact it was her idea.

Anyway, I hope to get some outside pics and some progress pics as things get more done.

Thanks for your help guys!

WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

Used Parts for Sale

You need a two post lift...