IS this a good deal???

So i found a "very" used compressor today. The brand is a Champion. It is a 5HP motor. I dont know anything about the pump. And the tank is a horizontal 60 or 80 gallon (not sure wich). THe bummer is that the motor is toast. They want $150 for it. Is that a good deal for the pump and tank?

Re: IS this a good deal???

Quote Originally Posted by Bdierks View Post
    So i found a "very" used compressor today. The brand is a Champion. It is a 5HP motor. I dont know anything about the pump. And the tank is a horizontal 60 or 80 gallon (not sure wich). THe bummer is that the motor is toast. They want $150 for it. Is that a good deal for the pump and tank?
    Depends a lot on the condition of the tank and the pump. Champion is a good quality brand. If the compressor is "very" used as you say, I would be a bit more leery of the deal. Check as best you can the condition of the tank and see if there is much rust build-up inside. If it doesn't have some form of automatic drain, crank open the bottom drain and see what comes out. If its rust and oily fluid you can probably assume both the tank and pump are toast like the motor. Pull the plug on the pump and check the lubricant. If its burnt looking, has metal particles in it or a mess of water comes out with the oil I'd pass on the deal here as well. Pumps are usually easily rebuildable, a new tank can be purchased and a motor found, but by the time you have that much time and money invested in the project you probably could have found a better deal on a new unit. Could be a deal...could be a money pit. You'll have to decide the condition and whether it warrants the purchase as its a bit far to check from here.