Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Icicle light storage question.

So how do you guys store all those leftover icicle lights from the Christmas season? I haven't taken mine down yet (been a bit too frosty out, and I just don't feel like hiking through the 16 inches of snow to take them down), and have been wondering how to store them without having them get so twisted that I'll need new ones next year. So, how do you guys do it?
    In a while, Chet.

Re: Icicle light storage question.

Use one of those cord wraps. Or even wrap it around a piece of cardboard.

I do not know how to make it 100% easy to undo, but by wrapping them around something they do not tangle as easily.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Use one of those cord wraps. Or even wrap it around a piece of cardboard.

I do not know how to make it 100% easy to undo, but by wrapping them around something they do not tangle as easily.

Anything has to be better than nothing, eh? I was kinda leary of trying a cord wrap because I thought that would sure as shootin' tangle. I guess I could also try a peice of scrap O.S.B. from in my garage. It's not like I have a shortage of scraps from trying to finish that off. Thanks, Glenn.
    In a while, Chet.

I would lean toward making something instead of the cord reels. In my experience, the cord reels beat up the lights too much. No tangles, but no light either.

I live in Texas, so I don't know much about snow...Here is what I have done with my Icicle lights in the past. I take each "icicle strand" and gather each together vertically, the main wire run is "acordian" folded between each of the vertical "icicles". When I have a run (one or more strands together) folded up, I use a velcro cable strap (Home Depot or Lowes) to tie the icicles in a bunch. From there I just put them in a plastic tote for next year.

Hope this helps...

I am pretty sure you have to store them in a freezer. To keep them from melting....

Last edited by MXtras; 02-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kkuenemann View Post
    I live in Texas, so I don't know much about snow...Here is what I have done with my Icicle lights in the past. I take each "icicle strand" and gather each together vertically, the main wire run is "acordian" folded between each of the vertical "icicles". When I have a run (one or more strands together) folded up, I use a velcro cable strap (Home Depot or Lowes) to tie the icicles in a bunch. From there I just put them in a plastic tote for next year.

Hope this helps...
    What he said

I put each section in a trash bag (cheapest ones around) don't take time to worry about how they go in. They are never any trouble next year as long as they are in separate bags they don't tangle too bad. After putting in bag I put all the bags in a plastic tote and start dreaming about next Christmas.

Man I just saw the date. These old ones ought to flash or something, I ain't that sharp.. Keep answering old questions.

I bought a boat load of lights this year for decorating the new house next year. (I spent about $1500 at at least 50% off!!)

I am going to need to figure out some good storage options for next year.

I bought some lights on a reel. I also purchased some extra reels. I am hoping they work out. I will have to try the trash bag option.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics