Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wiring for light in blast cabinet

So I'm going the cheap route and getting a blast cabinet that doesn't have a light kit with it. I noticed a light kit I can buy for $40 but I know I can make one about $30 cheaper than that. I was thinking of getting a cheap outside light that you mount by your entry door, a light switch and switch box. My question is the wiring. I have my old plug and wiring off of my old compressor that I scrapped the motor on and some house wiring downstairs. Do I go from the switch, to the light, and wire in the plug at the light? Or do I go from the light, to the switch, and wire the plug to the switch? I'm not an electrician as you can see...I know the difference in the black, white, and green wires though! I guess thats a good start...
    *Experienced Custom Powder Coater*

Loudin's Powder Coating

Re: Wiring for light in blast cabinet

Make sure your outside light fixture is waterproof. If it's waterproof, it will be sand proof. Water resistant does NOT equal waterproof. What comes to mind are those housings that have a screw on glass jelly jar over the bulb. It should have some sort of rubber gasket in it. I would also silicon the base of the light housing to the cabinet (along with bolting) and also silicone any voids in the housing itself. You don't want any blast media in there at all.

Here's a simple diagram.

The neutral (white) doesn't wire into the switch, it goes straight to the light. What I would add to this diagram though is the ground (green) wire tying the switch and light fixture together and to the cord. There should be a green screw on both the switch and the light housing for this purpose.

You can probably go straight out the side of the blast cabinet from the light into the switch box with a short nipple. I did something similar on my switch for my bender:

Use your plug/cord from the old compressor and you can use wire nuts to mate everything together.
    Last edited by Cebby; 11-09-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Exactly what he said........

Ok...so pretty much its gonna go from the switch to the light, and from the light straight out and plugged in. One black wire from the switch to the light, and ground and black hooked up to the light and going out as I understand it?

Loudin's Powder Coating

Your cord will go into your switch box first. Your cord should have 3 conductors - black, white and green (or bare)

Inside the switch box (make all your connections in here), connect the black wire from the cord to one terminal on the switch. On the other remaining terminal of the switch, connect the black wire that comes from the light.

Connect the white wire from the cord directly to the white wire from the light.

Connect the green (or bare) conductor from the cord to the green (or bare) wire from the light. When making this connection, also put another lead in the wire nut that goes to the green screw on the switch.

Also - make sure you use a romex box clamp for the cord or some other sort of strain relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Also - make sure you use a romex box clamp for the cord or some other sort of strain relief.
    Gotcha Cebby....thanks for clarifying!

Loudin's Powder Coating

Here's a pic of how I mounted lights in a Eastwood cabinet. The
    threaded rod from the light fixture is used to raise or lower the
    bulb to the correct hieght. There is a hi temp foam gasket on the
    inside of the cabinet insulating the bulb, and keeping sand inside.
    Good luck on your project, Rich

Rich - I think we have the same cabinet...

Thats a good set up Rich. Unfortunately, I went to Northern tool tonight and they didn't have the blast cabinet I was looking for. Said it might come in on a truck tomorrow...but they haven't had a replacement one for about a week! Pffffft,,,now I'm looking at some on ebay from Craig's affordable tools. Looks like the standup model is $129 on Ebay and $149 on their website. Don't have an ebay account so looks like I might be paying $209 after shipping for this cabinet.

Loudin's Powder Coating