How do you keep track of your projects?

I'm curious how you guys keep your projects straight (and moving forward).

All the HOT stuff I'm working on is covering whiteboards around my computer, but most of that is consulting work, not garage/fabrication projects since those aren't income generators (at least not yet). Since the whiteboards are full, I've resorted to taping pieces of paper on the wall too - but I'm running out of wall. The balance of the things I have going are relegated to storage in a foggy section of my memory bank - a bank with lousy hours I might add - there's a partial listing of this stuff in my Outlook To-Do list, but I can never spend enough time putting al the info in there, let alone remembering everything that needs to go in there...

So how do you keep projects visible and "to do" lists making forward progress?

Re: How do you keep track of your projects?

Um, I've HEARD that you concentrate on one project at a time. Then prioritze each segment of the job. Then pull down lists off each segment. Work in order so you don't get overwhelmed.

I wish I could practice what I preach, though.
    39 Chevy- Still needs 10 hours of work before top is fully chopped. Then doors need adjusting to chop, door latches.....

65 Chevelle- Minor tuning, install powertrax rear end with new gears, bleed brakes. Hook up line lock. Detail

71 Nova- Install guages, plug wires, loom, detail

81 Monte Drag car- Lets not go there...
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I have a big white board across from my desk and a million post-it notes stuck all over the place. Then I have the WIFE. She's the only one allowed to put a job on the big white board. When someone comes in to get a job done, if the spousal unit is not here, I put it on a sticky note and leave it for her to schedule. Believe it or not, this system works quite well. I have a general inability to say "No" to a customer and tend to overbook, then by the middle of the week I get overwhelmed with what has to get done before the weekend. My wife has found a good balance of what she knows I can get done without me sitting around with nothng to do (although she can always find something for me to do ). The only bad thing is that she always pings on me about some stupid little job that she knows I don't really want to do, and she bugs the crap out of me until it gets done. I could have a weeks worth of gravy jobs and one shit job, guess which one she's going to bug me about. It all works out in the end, the work gets done, the customers leave happy, and I keep my sanity.
    Mac

I got to admitt I'm bad at projects go good for awhile then loose focus,,, most generally its the ultimatium from the wife that gets in focus again

Quote Originally Posted by zonk View Post
    I got to admitt I'm bad at projects go good for awhile then loose focus,,, most generally its the ultimatium from the wife that gets in focus again
    Same here. I guess great minds do think alike....
    In a while, Chet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zonk

Same here. I guess great minds do think alike....
    Sounds about right to me.
    How'd you do that? How's that work??
    EMF - Breakin', Fixin' and Messin' with stuff for over fifty years.
    Retired Electrician, Lineman, Millwright.

Whiteboard in the shop only gets "shop" projects.

Whiteboard at my desk in the house only gets "family" projects.

Whiteboard at my desk at work only gets "work" projects.

I ignore all three of them.

Nah, works pretty good for keeping track of my priorities. My memory sucks.

WabFab Off-Road, LLC
    Toyota 4x4 Parts and Custom Fabrication
    www.myspace.com/wabfab

September Sale of the Month - SAS KITS

Used Parts for Sale

Ive got a whiteboard at my shop that I was going to use for my Shop projects..........didnt work out too well.

I now use a spiral notebook for everything

My projects are all hobby oriented and I usually keep them in a note book if it is something I find in a magazine that I have. For things of interest found on line, I have a folder (projects) in my photos album. Though lately I have been scanning projects in JPG form from old books, etc. and adding them to my projects folder too. Makes it easier than finding that old book.