Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Body Carts and/or Rotisseries

Any interest here on building either of these? Ideas? I just posted this up on the Pro Touring Board so I'll keep this one updated with any input from over there.
    I have spent quite a bit of time looking through a few sites researching Body Carts and Rotisseries. I have a good idea as to what I am going to do but would like some further input from any of you who have had the chance to use either one or both.
    My initial plan was to simply build a cart to set the van body on so it is at least mobile. Now I am wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and build a cart/rotisserie that will allow access to the underbelly of the van while I am rebuilding the back half.
    Any comments, do's, don'ts or whatevers are welcome.
    Keep in mind I have a pile of 2x2x1/8th wall tubing to build this thing from so I plan to do it from scratch and not purchase engine stands or the like.
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

Re: Body Carts and/or Rotisseries

While I haven't used either one, nor have an immediate need, I do hope to have a space large enough to do work where either one (or both) make sense.

I'll be watching intently....

I too would be interested in any and all information. A rotissery would be awesome. Mainly if it broke down and could be stored.

I think there is an post on GarageJournal about a guy who built one.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

There are tons, like you have seen....but if you look at AutoTwirler, and add a few "extras", I think it would do everything you want. We built one for my neighbor, and it works awesome.

1.) more stops on the rotating heads or use setscrew locks
    2.) Where the arms attach to the body, add a square tube below it so you can add a full length tube under the body (Even though you have the full length tube for the legs) Helps hold soft unibody cars when doing floorboards
    3.) Add an option for an overhead tube (if you have the ceiling height). This way you can hang parts from it, for one man operations, or wheel it into the paint booth to hang parts to paint.
    4.) Add a tube on top of the legs, so you can put in removeable outriggers with Bigger tires for outdoor use!!! Huge , when sandblasting!
    5.) Weld in the allthread connecters (real Long nut) on the sides by the wheels, so you can use a jackscrew for leveling.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Thanks TONS for all of the input guys! I really appreciate it. I spent most of the weekend (except for a car show Saturday) out in the shop cleaning so I didn't get anything done on the design but, I did take stock on my materials and think I will use a couple of sections of 6 x 6 "H" beam I have left over from my chassis table build. If I use these for the bottom rails I think the cart/rotisserie will be plenty stout. I probably won't get much done on the design work for a week or so as I need to get the shop cleaned up, organized and a few cars put away for the winter, but I will post up some sketches when I get them done.
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

I have always planned to build an angine stand using the complete front rotor assembly from an older land-yacht for the pivot point. You could use a toggle clamp to build pressure in the disc brake caliper and lock it into any position you wanted. You could drop a locking pin or two into the venting slots of the disc for a positive lock.

Just my two cents.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Not to thread rob, but anyone know where to get those engine stands that have a gear operated rotating assemby? Saw it on Spike with Joe Elmore/Chuck Hansen HotRod TV?
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Just a thought - engine stands for diesels have them thar cranky thingies.....

I think OTC makes them.

http://otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1200

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 10-16-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Or, do it MXtras style and build it!

This is not mine, but it's a nice job!! Wrong color, though....

Sorry for the brief thread hijack, Astro.

Scott

Anybody working with those heavy hemi's need to build a stout stand. I don't think I'd trust any old engine stand with that weight!