Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service carts..... decisions, decisions

so im looking for a new service cart for work, and i've narrowed it down to 2. i just cant decide because i like different things on each. please give me opinions/experience/advice.

The cornwell cart($525) i like because the drawer handles go fully across the cart, some of the drawers are bigger than the Matco, and it costs less.

The matco cart($585) i like because the drawers seem more solid, i trust the matco name a little more, but the price is a little more.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...select=&page=7

http://www.lohmanstoolsales.com/sale/page_10.html

thanks, dan
    Last edited by Discodan; 10-05-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Re: Service carts..... decisions, decisions

$525-$585 for a service cart. Damn, I'm in the wrong business! Scotty, what's your price? For that amount of money I would be down at the box store picking up some heavy-duty drawer slides and a couple of sheets of birch ply. Less than half the cash and the end result would do exactly what I wanted it to do and not what some designer thinks I should be satisfied with.

This is definately not a service cart, but I needed a cart for my drills and bits and I didn't see what I wanted in the catalogs. Service cart would be just as easy to build. Save some cash and spend the time building one of your own. The results will be better and the cart will be of your own design.
    Last edited by Wyoming; 10-05-2006 at 06:04 AM.

Well - most folks aren't afflicted by the same curse as you and I, Wyoming. Some folks actually prefer to buy stuff instead of building....not that I understand why, but I have heard it's true.

If someone had a gun to my head and was holding my wife hostage, forcing me to make a decision I would choose the Cornwell cart. Otherwise, I would build one the way I wanted it. Cost? Probably about $225 in materials (steel, slides, wheels, sheet and of course - blue paint).

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I'd also say the Cornwell one for the way the handles are. Those two look so similar, I wonder if they are both made by the same company and rebranded. Sure looks like it.

I also like the idea of building my own, but sometimes buying is the answer to a bunch of questions.

Buying something eliminates the hassle of having to make micro decisions. It's the smallest things that make a huge difference in the outcome of almost any project.

I mean - think about it. The "how big" or "how tall" questions are easy ones to answer with a tape measure. The more difficult things to answer are the little things like "how many drawers" and that leads to "how deep to make the drawers" which further leads to "should I make different depth drawers". The same is true with a cabinet section - "how many shelves", "adjustable or fixed", "smooth front edge or lip". After these things are nailed down, then it's on to the construction details - things like how to make the frames, which materials to use and how to define the construction of each seam of the frame, each drawer, each shelf and the doors. There are a lot of decisions to make when deciding to build your own stuff, and many times the smallest details make the biggest difference.

One question is easy to answer - the color.

Scott

I could never justify the cost... A couple of kitchen base cabinets on a 2x4 frame is going to cost less then a hundred bucks...
    I built this roll around work bench for that...

I just pickt up two of these cabinets for 15 bucks each at a yard sale...
    Put them on 12 dollars worth of casters and still haven't filled them up...

Of course being there at the right time has a lot to do with it but cabinets are cheap at yard sales and I see them all the time.
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

Those are nice!

One question is easy to answer - the color.

Scott[/QUOTE]

Not blue!!!!!

damn 7 responses in a couple hours, you guys rock.

well im leaning more and more towards the Cornwell cart because the handles are so much better and the dealer isn't as pushy as the matco guy. if i knew how to and had the time i would attempt to make my own, but untill then $$$.

as for them both being made by the same company, i was talking to the cornwell guy at work yesterday and he said that their both made by Sunex tools then slapped with different handles and logos .

Hey astro, those are some pretty cool carts, and work area. I'll have to keep my eyes open at some garage sales.