Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Bad Ast Project

I haven't posted any pics of my current project yet. I thought you guys may be interested in it. Most of this is documented on the Pro Touring board so I won't go into a lot of detail unless you ask.
    I haven't been working on it much this summer, had some design issues with the front suspension I had to fix and a lot of other things pulled me in different directions. I finally got some real work done the past couple of nights though.
    It sure does feels good to be getting something done, even if it is just tear-up stuff!
    If anyone wants to do some photo shopping I took a few pics last night with the tires and wheels set in place. I did a two pic shot of the side of the van to keep the rims in perspective. If you want to merge them into one file, give it a shot. I plan to do it when I get some time.

Have fun...

Here is a pic of the interior after I got all of the plastic and carpet pulled out.

And here is one after I had both wheel wells and part of the floor removed.

I had a tough time starting the cuts... This is a perfectly fine RUNNING van!
    It seems such a shame to cut it up. I was amazed at how clean this thing is (it's from Arizona). Even the bottom side is clean! I have never had the opportunity to work on a vehicle that was as rust free as this one is... Usually I am cutting out RUSTY parts... It really is a pleasure to work on something like this and not raise a cloud of dust.
    The plasma cutter worked great! I think it took me about 5 minutes to get each piece cut out...
    Mark
    I am like a LavaLamp... Not very brite but fun to watch...

Re: The Bad Ast Project

A clean vehicle? What's that? I have vowed to one day buy a vehicle from the Southwest. All I've ever seen is rust...

Not sure you need to do any photochopping - from that perspective, it looks pretty darn good!!

I'm assuming by the cutting that a c-notch and some tuckin' is in the future for this rig?

The "attitude" needs a major revamp. Here is a jpeg of what my intentions are. Let me know what you think.

The van will end up with a Big Block Chevy a lot of custom body work...
    Mark

That's badass! I love the huge wheel tire combo with tubs.

Moving to Project Gallery section....

A guy on another site put the two pics of the van together. I took his work a bit further... This is getting pretty close to the look (other then the color of course) that I am going for...

I removed the roof rack, emblems, door handles and rear bumper, modified the front bumper and added a rear pan and some ground effects... There will also be some hood revisions and a tailight delete (They will be in the rear pan).
    What do you think?
    Mark

That's cool! I especially like the side exhaust...

Thanks Cebby, I get a lot of positive response with that idea...
    I went out last night to start pulling the rear end out of the van and got to thinking...
    When I get the rear out the van is going to be "kinda" difficult to move around. Well, the motor and trans are still in place and they will have to come out before I can yank the diff... Just makes sense. Pulling them isn't an issue but then I will have them sitting in the shop getting in the way. I don't want them (4cyl & 700R4) The motor runs great though and there isn't a thing wrong with the tranny so I gave my mechanic/junkyard owner buddy a call. He will take them AND he will also pull them out! Of course I am giving him the stuff but I just want it gone... I will drive the van to his place this weekend and he will bring it back on his rollback some time early next week minus motor and trans... He will also pull the fuel tank for me which is also something I don't need and won't have to hassle with...
    Things are starting to move on the van now. I need to get the rest of the shop cleaned up...
    Mark

The "brown slug" went to my buddies yesterday afternoon. It was quite an experience driving it over there. With no rear wheel wells I was tossing small stones and rocks around inside and it was VERY noisy.
    We'll pull everything out from underneath that we don't need to get it home (roll back)and the front cradle will be loosened up with only a couple of bolts left in to keep it in place. I am chomping at the bit to get it back home.
    I was in Toledo Saturday and picked up some 10" casters at Harbor Freight (on sale for $9.99) for the body cart build. Once the cradle and rear suspension are out I want to be able to move the "slug" around so I will be building a cart to set the body on. It will also raise the van up a bit to make access to the underside easier.
    I will be working in the shop this week to get it ready for the slug to come back. I have a few new lights to hang and some re-arranging to do. I'll get pics as soon as I can.
    Mark

Just an update here. As it sits right now, the van is just a shell of it's former self. The motor, trans and fuel tank are history and it is waiting for me to finishing cleaning the shop to have the rear suspension and front suspension/cradle asms removed.
    I am pulling together stuff for the rotisserie build and hope to start the design of that shortly. I had to rebuild my big computer last week, again.. and, in the process, the back-up disc was destroyed. This is a pretty big deal. I lost a TON of progress and am having to do a lot of back tracking and re-loading of data, let alone completely rebuilding the suspension arms and rear frame. Anyway I need to get the suspension designs back up to speed and this will take me a while... Not real happy with myself right now.
    Mark