Looking for an off-the-shelf source for steel keyhole "buttons"

I'll try to describe the project. I've been striking out even finding a pic - even though I know they exist.

I have two items that will be mounted together (parallel) very closely. It is for a very snug way to mount a flat screen computer monitor to furniture. I am having a plate cut with a waterjet that will have keyholes and mounting holes (that I'll countersink). The mate to this plate will have holes to mount the keyhole "buttons" and also mounting holes (again that I'll countersink).

The reason for all this business is to get the two pieces close together when the keyholes are engaged. The weight of the pieces will keep them together (no mechanical "interlock" needed).

Ideally, the keyhole buttons would be 1/2 to 3/4" overall diameter, necking down once for the area it would engage with the mating plate (height of this = the mating plate thickness +/-) and necking down one more time, so I can plug weld the button from the back of the mating plate (again to roughly the height of the plate thickness).

Have I confused everyone? Anyway, I'd prefer to find a source that has these things sitting on a shelf so I can get them easily (and inexpensively). I'll need to duplicate these items quite a bit and don't relish the idea of jobbing these out.

Re: Looking for an off-the-shelf source for steel keyhole "buttons"

Ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner... Astroracer steered me into rivets (while over at SFT) and Imagineer over at WW mentioned rack, standoff and shoulder rivets.

Shoulder rivets are exactly what I'm looing for. This is for my project listed here:

http://toolandfab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75

Bet I know a CHEAPER solution!!

Go to your nail box look for the box labeled "Box Nails" or framing nails.

Drill a hole in the mounting plate, insert the nail to required depth. Cut nail to depth. File forged parting line for concentricity. Weld on back side, grind. Drink beer.

Total cost? Your beer.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

While that will work, I was planning on something a little beefier than that. The shouldered rivets aren't too bad for a beefy size I'm considering - only about .40 each. I'm just using 3 or 4 per set.

If these work out for computer monitors, I'll make a larger-even beefier version for plasma & LCD TV's. The mounts I've seen stick out too far from the wall. I think there is a market for a "wall-hugger" mount like this...

You can always use "Z" brackets. Holds up vanities, chalkboards, you name it. Nothing but a piece of sheetmetal with an offset. One piece on the wall, one on the item. The drop right on. Mint! If you have a brake, costs next to nothing.

HEY !! $.40 EACH !!!!! No wonder!! Your squandering all that beer money on rivits!! "No cabinets for youuuuuuuuuu" (Soup Nazi)
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Cebby

I just read this posting and I have seen what you are talking about, but not sure what they are called either.

I have used something similar to do what you are talking about. If you use a SHOULDER BOLT you can accomplish the some thing. Example: a 5/16" shoulder bolt has a head about 3/8"-1/2" diameter, a shaft dia of 5/16" and then a threaded tip that normally has 1/4"-20 threads about 3/8" long. The length of the shaft can be as short as 1/4" upto a length of 3 1/2". Here is a link to the bolt I am talking about from Fastenal: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=26188

Hope this helps..

Chebby,
    I think what you are looking for is used to hold the t tailgate cables to My dodge truck (upper Mount) also maybe be available from Stock Drive Products
    Happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

A press brake, also known as plate bending machine, is a kind of machine tool for bending sheet and plate material, most commonly sheet metal, material could be normal steel, stainless steel, aluminum and so on. Regularly, two C-frames form the sides of the press brake, connected to a table at the bottom and on a moveable slide at the top. The bottom tool is mounted on the table with the top tool mounted on the upper beam.

A Press brake could be described and distinguished by basic specifications, such as the force or tonnage and the working length (length of plate sheet). Additional parameters include the amplitude or stroke, the distance between the frame uprights or side housings, distance to the back gauge, and work height. The upper slide usually operates at a speed ranging from 1 to 15 mm/sec.

There are many different types of press brake as described by the means of applying force: mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and servo-electric. Hydraulic press brake operates by means of two synchronized hydraulic cylinders on the C-frames moving the upper slide. Servo-electric brakes use a servo-motor to drive a ball screw to exert tonnage on the ram.

SUZOU DAFU MACHINE TOOLS CO.,LTD., is a professional manufacturer of hydraulic press brake and servo-electric press brake. Established in 2003, Suzhou Dafu Machine tools have been engaged indesigning, building and selling hydraulic press brake, CNC hydraulic press brake, guillotines shear and CNC guillotine shear for many years. Thanks to full attention upon press brake and guillotine shear building, and the great investment in metal processing equipments. Dafu had made agood start in the industry of press brake and guillotine shear after our products hit market.
    In 2007, due to reliable quality of press brake and guillotine shear we built and sold, Dafu had gained remarkable reputation in Chinese market and Dafu’s share in the market had been kept increasing year by year, at the same period, Dafu started to pay more attention upon oversea market and seek sales increase from global market. In order to pursue quality of machines and service, our boss decided to expand production capacity, and extended workshop buildings 15,000 square meters more, plus original 15,000 square meters workshop, totally 30,000 square meters in total.