Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage Cabinets

Garage Cabinets

OK, I am now spinning out of control, well figuratively anyway. At first my plan was to build some cabinets like Scott made. They are awesome. But I have a few issues. First, it will take longer than I want to make all I need. And after reading Cebby’s article, I would not be saving much money.

I looked at Lista, Lyons, Moduline, Baldhead, etc… I just can not justify it. Even if my wife was OK with it, I could not see myself spending $25,000 in cabinets alone!

So then I went out and found cabinets that I thought would be the end all. They are made of MDF and are covered in a thermo-fused melamine laminate. They are nice looking, have great hardware and are affordable. (Keep in mind I am covering about 40 linear feet.)

So I wrote to the company (http://www.ebladez.com/ultimate/Ultimate/home.html) and asked about a local reseller as well as information on becoming a distributor.

I was sent some info, but no leads on local resellers. Well I happened to be in Sears the other day and they carry them. I was pumped. I finally got to see them in person. Well, I am now on a quest to find another cabinet company. I was really disappointed.

To start with, the cabinets are only 21 inches deep. This I had known, but when you finally see it, you realize how small that is. Then the drawers are not full extension. It is almost like they used an 18 inch slide on a 21 inch drawer. There was quite a bit of drawer still inside the cabinet.

They do look nice, but they are not going to work.

So I am looking for cabinet advice without spending the entire family fortune (LOL! Like my family has that kind of fortune.)

I want some drawer space. I want overheads. I want the “wardrobe” style tall cabinets. I would like them to look cool and not like kitchen cabinets.

I have a regular roll around tool chest (and am about to buy a 56 incher) so my regular tools are covered. I just need a place to store specialty tools, spools of automotive wire, quarts of oil, cleaners, etc..

I hope someone has some ideas. There is a home show here in Orlando next weekend. I went last year and they had quite a few companies that were selling garage cabinets. I hope this year is the same.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Re: Garage Cabinets

I really like Scott's (MXtras) cabinets. They are clearly custom, and look pretty good. Best of all, he used "found" material.

While I hadn't seen them before I ordered my Lista cabs, I don't have quite the same level of fab skills he has, and I'm not sure how making them myself would have turned out. No doubt the early ones would have found a place a little farther from view.

Having said that, I still think that Lista represents a pretty good compromise between price and quality. You can clearly spend more, but don't get concomitantly more quality, in most cases. Or you can spend less and get the MDF-style cabs, which have their own set of issues (I still have one vertical MDF cabinet in the Garagenous Zone, and the laminate has started to peel, they really don't have much actual capacity, the slides tend to be really crappy, the cuts are not perfect so when assembled they don't look great, the hardware tends to be pretty low quality, etc)

It really depends on your needs. Even as I have Lista cabs in the main garage, the attached compressor room has cheapie Stack-on metal and plastic cabinets. I'm OK with them for their use (keeping seldom-used stuff clean and away from the dust and dirt that they used to get while on open shelving).

I personally think that cabinets are a key part of what sets the tone in the garage. Get the good stuff, keep it for the long term, and you will generally be happier. In fact, that's my investment strategy, too.

You'll probably only do this once or twice in your life. Get what makes you happy. Besides, they no dounbt cost less than the ones in the kitchen: now which ones are more important to you?

-Will

I vote for cheap and plenty of storage. I'd rather spend money on tools and tooling instead. Here is a messy 17 1/2' bench up at the shop.

Stanley Vidmar makes a line that is better than Lista. I used to install them. They are designed to be built into 3 stories self supporting. Just incredible. Look on Ebay and I believe Stanley sells damaged 1's through their site. Buy them and paint all the same color to your like. A three story set with stairs freight elevator and lights is cool to see. We put 1800 cab on a Marine Air Station in Japan. Neat tool box.

Stairs and a freight elevator might be a little grand even for me. LOL!
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Quote Originally Posted by BoostAddiction
    Having said that, I still think that Lista represents a pretty good compromise between price and quality. You can clearly spend more, but don't get concomitantly more quality, in most cases.
    I would love Lista or Lista style cabinets, but the modulines came out to $25,000 for the space I am filling. That is a mighty investment and from what I can gather, the Listas would cost more.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Here is an example of old gov't bookcases stacked to form visible storage.
    David Edwards

I will make you exactly what you want and what you are looking for for a fraction of the cost of the Listas - if you are willing to wait. It would take me a few weeks to get them built. Something to keep in mind. Let me know if this is something you would consider - I would have to work up a price, but I can build you whatever you want.

I will even paint them any color you want - as long as it's blue.

Just kidding, of course.

Another option would be those assemble yourself cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot. I have them in my racing trailer - they are too heavy for the trailer, but it was a time thing, so I bought instead of building. They really are not all that bad and they clean well.

And whatever you do, do NOT listen to Wyoming. He will have you storing your stuff in burlap sacks duct taped to the underside of a rusty, steel bench, labeled with a crayon.

Just kidding, Wyoming!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
    And whatever you do, do NOT listen to Wyoming. He will have you storing your stuff in burlap sacks duct taped to the underside of a rusty, steel bench, labeled with a crayon.

Just kidding, Wyoming!
    Scott
    I'll have you know I washed that burlap, the tape was color co-ordinated electricians tape and I was using a Sharpie!!!

Seriously, the bench was under $400 in time and materials. I would certainly swap the ugly sucker for one of yours, but the cash involved would cause me severe tool buying grief down the line.
    Last edited by Cebby; 09-18-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I would love Lista or Lista style cabinets, but the modulines came out to $25,000 for the space I am filling. That is a mighty investment and from what I can gather, the Listas would cost more.
    I don't know what you are planning exactly, but I'm sure you could get a quick quote. Try Charles Marsala at www.listatoolboxes.com.

Better still, as long as Scott is actually going to be reasonable on color, that would most likely be a cheaper, better solution, especially as you could be very specific as to what size and quantity of drawers, doors, etc, even if they weren't a stock size in a production line.

Let the collective know what you decide...

-Will