Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage Cabinets

Re: Garage Cabinets

I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but do you realize how much stuff you would be storing for $25,000?? Do you have enough stuff to fill FORTY feet of cabinets?? Thats almost like a Dealership's amount of parts storage!

On the "more reasonable side"... How about a series of HD closed shelving units with doors? Paint them to match the Listas, etc. and maybe buy 2-3 Lista units.

One thing I found, is that you can not plan the future. You can get a real good idea, but things change, and the thing you thought would be "The Answer", was incorrect. So versatilaty is the key here. The closed shelving w/ doors offers that. If you buy something like a Lyons shelving unit, you can insert modules inside, on the shelving, for bolt storage, etc. And you can not discount the fact that you can add or subtract a shelf as needs change. Look at how they have changed the size/shape of oil bottles in the last 20 years. I still remember the paperboard/tin. Lots shorter than todays "Pourtop".

Think versatility.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

See! This is why I come here. I have never known a group of people as "garage" smart as the group on here. These are all good points and good answers.

After reading Scott's post above about offering to build the cabinets for me, I spent a lot of time thinking about it last night.

My time thought was that I wanted to take the stuff from my current garage, move it to the new garage and have it "set up" for use. So I would not have the time to build anything. But then reality set in. If I took everything I own and just dumped it on the floor in the new garage, it would be about equal to what I have now. LOL! So I think at this point I am going to go the Scott method, but build them myself. (If this changes Scott, I will let you know pleanty ahead of time. But thank you for the offer anyway!) I am just going to build a few at a time until I have what I need.

Will, I did not really want to bug a vendor for a quote because I am sure it is going to be crazy expensive and then I feel like I am wasting their time.

Jeff, I do not take your comments as "wiseass" at all! I appreciate all comments and suggestions. But honestly, I can fill the cabinets. LOL! I run a little side business of buying old (1990-1994 mainly) Eagle Talons and Mitsubishi Eclipses to part them out to the club. I currently have 7 that need to be stripped. I store pretty much every part on the car. (Plus, I am an overall packrat. )

Oh, and I too remember those old oil cans. I still have a few of the push in spouts around here somewhere.

I am curious to know which HD closed shelving units you are talking about.

So.. How much do burlap sacks cost?? LOL!

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-18-2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

So.. How much do burlap sacks cost?? LOL!

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Glenn,
    Cheaper than you might think!

If you know of any remodel carpenter/contractors in your area, ask them to save the demo'ed kitchen cabinets. The specs on kitchen cabinets are fairly universal, they store items well, and if you find some from the '60s or prior they can usually be refitted with sheet metal door skins braked at your local sheet metal shop to look like the high dollar cabinets. Dollarwise the price is hard to beat.

I used high rise conference room doors that I picked up free from a friend that does high rise remodels down in Dallas. The doors are thick particle board skinned in oak, walnut or some other wood. I use one as a ramp for loading heavy equipment on my flatbed trailer so they will more than handle any weight a bench will ever see.

I would like a set of Scottybilt cabinets, Listas or whatever, but I would love the tools the same amount of cash will buy more. I think you'll find building your own shelves and cabinets cheaper and more satisfying than buying the high dollar units. Unless you go for the Listas or like clones you aren't going to get the quality of hardware you really want for your shop. They may look good on the outside, but the guts are going to be cheap. Shopbuilt can offer the ability of using quality hardware...full extension HD drawer slides come to mind...without the high price.

Best of luck whichever course you may take. BTW, I can probably come up with a mess of burlap bags in a price range to suit your needs.

LOL on the burlap.

Well the wife and I just had a nice chat. She told me that once the house is done, she doesn't care what I spend on the garage. (I still can't justify the $25K) I came to the decision that by building the Scott cabinets that I can buy a box brake, sheet metal shear, new welder, plasma cutter, plasma cnc table and band saw, build the cabinets and come out somewhere in the same ball park but with tools to boot.

Thanks again guys. I will keep you posted.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Glenn - how big are the parts you are storing from the parted out cars? Is it big stuff as well as little things?

If you are storing engines/transaxles or other big stuff, you might want to consider an area of pallet racking. If you want to keep dust and shop debris off this larger stuff, you can build large doors and side/back panels to enclose them. I doubt there is a reasonably priced "manufactured" system that can encompass every storage need perfectly - there will always be some compromises.

Probably the best place to start is make a list of all the stuff/sizes you intend to store (not like every single wrench, but stuff that won't be loose in drawers). Sizing a few areas to meet the largest anticipated item to store will give you some flexibilty down the line and hopefully help with some of the future unknowns.

Another thought - purely from an aesthetic standpoint... If having a cohesive look is important, choose colors and materials that are easy to duplicate for various applications.
    Last edited by Cebby; 09-18-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming
    I think you'll find building your own shelves and cabinets cheaper and more satisfying than buying the high dollar units.
    Yup. I agree.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    ..... I can buy a box brake, sheet metal shear, new welder, plasma cutter, plasma cnc table and band saw, build the cabinets and come out somewhere in the same ball park but with tools to boot.
    Adopt me, please!

Last edited by MXtras; 09-19-2006 at 02:05 AM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

[QUOTE=MXtras][QUOTE=Glenn]..... I can buy a box brake, sheet metal shear, new welder, plasma cutter, plasma cnc table and band saw, build the cabinets and come out somewhere in the same ball park but with tools to boot.

Adopt me, please!

Now just one cotton pickin' minute Scotty!!! Here you have all of us willing to sign our way into being your redheaded bastard stepchild...even if it means wearing Smurf blue outfits...and you want to go and do the same. Life isn't fair!! Heck, I was even going to go down to WalMart and look for Smurfie blue Sharpies and redo my bolt bin tags just to keep you happy.

Oh if you need pallets system look at the Stak systems. www.stanleyvidmar.com You will like the systems. Of course you need to hit the lottery.

We all need to hit the lottery already. LOL!
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics