Machinists? Millwrights?? HAAALLLP!!!!!!!!!

A TALE OF TWO SHAFTS THAT YEARN TO BECOME ONE

Okay, I'll do my best to describe what I've got and what I want to happen.
    I have two mainshafts that need to become one. These are from two transfer cases, an NP203 and an NP 205. I'm using the range box off of the 203, and adapting it to the 205, This is called a "doubler".
    The 203 mainshaft has a gearset and a captured bearing on the front end,that fits into the rear of the 203 range box. from the captured bearing, back, the shaft is 8 1/4" long. At the very rear of the 203 mainshaft there is a 5/8" diameter section that rides in a bearing in the tail shaft housing. This will be important in a minute.
    On to the NP205 mainshaft. It's a good bit shorter than the 203. There is a gear in the center of the shaft, and it's forged out of one peice. The rear of the shaft has a similar section that is 5/8" in diameter, that rides in a bearing in the tailshaft housing of the 205. This is why it's important, since they both have similar tailshaft housing supports, one option is to cut the ends of the shaft off of the gear section, and have it splined on the inside, andhave the 203 mainshaft turned and splined, so that I can just use the 203 mainshaft.
    Another option is to cut the 203 mainshaft, and use a spline collar, and stick the 205 shaft into one end, and spline the 203 shaft to fit in the other end.
    I'm not a real big fan of the second Idea, because length in becoming an issue. As it stands right now, The engine has been moved back 18", and then this transfer case isalready a minimum of 12"longer than stock, plus whatever length I have to add for this adapter. I'm getting real close to the rear driveshaft being too short.
    So, how expensive is my first Idea going to be?
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

Re: Machinists? Millwrights?? HAAALLLP!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camarogenius
    A TALE OF TWO SHAFTS THAT YEARN TO BECOME ONE

So, how expensive is my first Idea going to be?

A lot more than this option
    My shop pictures

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
    1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
    1955 Ford F100
    1941 Chevy Panel

So, youre telling me it's gonna cost over $800 to cut and spline a shaft?
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

Cutting isn't the hard part, the splines are. These are cut with a broach and are specific to the job. So in other words, unless you can find someone with a broach that matches what you need, you are into developing and buying tooling for a one time use. The guys Will linked to have likely amortized the tooling cost over a number of the units.

Crap, just dawned on me that a broach is for cutting splines inside material, not on the outside. I'm sure the process is similar, the tooling is probably called something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Camarogenius
    So, youre telling me it's gonna cost over $800 to cut and spline a shaft?
    Your going to have to cut and perferably grind the splines on the one shaft then your going to have to cut off, bore and have some one internally grind or broach a blind hole. Next you will want that shaft re-heat treated (most shafts are hard on the outside and soft inside) You will want it hard inside for the splines and also on the outside for the gear, and still be not too brittle, so it can take a shock load.

If you chouse your plan 2 you could avoid the internal cuts and the re-heat treatment, if they are carefull when they grind the splines. Then you could buy a splined connector. That would save you some $$$

Also the $800 is for the whole kit. If you don't need any of it other than the shaft adapter, call and see how much they want for just that part. I bet lots less than $800. The nicely machined case adapter looks like a $$$ part of the package....

William....
    My shop pictures

1955 Ford F100
    1941 Chevy Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Crap, just dawned on me that a broach is for cutting splines inside material, not on the outside. I'm sure the process is similar, the tooling is probably called something else...
    He want's to cut them on the inside so your right on it's a broach that is required and it's a blind hole too...

Some thing else I just thought of is the shaft that he wants to cut the internal splines on much larger than the shaft he is cutting the outside splines on??

If not and he was going to turn down one so it fit inside the other it will snap like a twig!

William...
    My shop pictures

1955 Ford F100
    1941 Chevy Panel

Inside splines can also be cut with EDM. Might be as expensive though.