Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let's talk about lighting

OK, I have been reading a lot of stuff over at GJ about lighting, but I really wanted to bring my thought here and discuss it with you guys. The threads over there go in circles.

I was reading the post about bmwpower's garage (Link) and he posted up a photo of the out put from Visual's demo software. (www.visuallightingsoftware.com) So I went and downloaded it.

My current garage, which is 22X26 had no lighting worth a crap when I bought the house. I went to HD and bought 4 8' double bulb strips. Nothing fancy, no high output, just the regular strips. It is almost enough light. LOL!

So I was thinking about the lighting for the new garage. Technically I have 60X40 as work space. So I divided that into 6 20X20 blocks. Knowing that 4 8' florecent almost lights the work portion of my garage now (at 8' from the floor) then 6 fixtures per 20X20 section should do. Right?

So using the Visual software, I selected Lithonia's 8' dual bulb HO stip flourecents. When I got to the end of the wizard, it generated the chart.

Now bmwpower's chart with his 9 metal halides show the average illuminace of around 65-67. Mine... 134!! Am I going to catch fire standing under these lights? LOL!

So I would like to get some input from you all.

Scott posted a little formula over on GJ using the total wattage and the sqare footage. It went like this:

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras
    Use watt density. Take the total number of watts and divide it by the SqFt of illuminated area. Dispersion is also a consideration and where flourecents are beneficial because the have longer lengths. Metal Halides have decent spread if you have the correct ones for the mounting height.

A real-world guide to watt density:
    .75 is pretty dark in my experience
    1.2 is dimly lit for working, good for inside a home
    1.6 is reasonably well lit, but you will need additional light for detailed tasks
    1.8 is pretty good and will be adequate for most everything in a shop
    2.0 is excellent and if you need additional light, you should not be operating power tools

My home garage is a 2.0 with nothing but flourecents. Excellent.

My commercial shop is a 1.6 with High Bay Metal Halides and one flourecent. Adequate, but I wish it was just a tad brighter.

I don't think you want anything less than 1.6 or so.

What watt density do you guys have in your shops/garages???

Scott
    So using this I will have 2400 sq ft and 7920 watts (2 100W bulbs per fixture X 6 fixtures per "bay" X 6 bays) I come up with 3.3!! Will this just knock me down when I turn on the lights? LOL!

I know I could always cut it back to 4 per bay which will give me a 2.2 rating, but I want it to be BRIGHT in there.

Also on the topic of lights. Is it more efficient to run 220V lights? I know it goes twice the voltage, half the amps, same wattage. But if memory serves me right, that is less money to the power company correct?

(I hope this thread will help the "Ultimate Garage Building Thread")
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Re: Let's talk about lighting

Oh, I just noticed also that the Visual software says I would have a 3.8W/sq ft density.

If anyone wants to see the output let me know and I will post it.

BTW: Those particular lights are $170 each. (About $6000 for what I am doing.) So I am going to look into other lights.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-22-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

(2) 100 watts per fixture?? Man, I think my 8' units are 40watts each.

I have (12) 8' double bulb units and my garage seems darker than I would like. 1200 s.f. 12' ceilings 6 units on white metal ceiling, a strip of lights 24' long on each white painted side wall.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Then again, I like operating rooms......
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

That was a typo Jeff. They are not 100W they are 110W!!

It is the 6K price tag.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

With the Lithonia "UND 2 96VHO" in the same config, it gives me a power density of 4.77W/sq ft!! LOL! But I can not find a price on them. (They are 165WX2 bulb)
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I am kind of thinking out loud in this post, I hope that is OK Cebby.

I went back through the Visual software and used the same HO light. (The Lithonia UN 2 96HO, again 2 110W bulbs.) But this time I used 4 per bay instead of 6. (Again the "bay" being a 20X20 square.) It brought my Power Density to 2.53W/sqft and the way it is laid out, I could always add the 2 others if it was not as bright as standing on the sun.

By Scotts formula it gives me the 2.2W/sqft. I think I could live with this.

Still want input.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I had forgotten about that post - good find! You have been digging!

I still think 1.6 is the bare minimum and 2.0 is pretty damned good. 2.2 would be really nice for lots of things, except initial cost and when the power bill is due!

Keep in mind that this basic formula is assuming that you have employed the correct lighting for the height they will be mounted. I think flourecents have a limit of maybe 12' - don't know for sure. Wal-Mart uses them - so do many large stores. They can't be all that bad!

Watt density is a pretty good thumbnail way to get what you are looking for provided you apply at least average common sense! (lamps are uniformly distributed, etc, etc.)

Thanks for the props, Glenn!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Also on the topic of lights. Is it more efficient to run 220V lights? I know it goes twice the voltage, half the amps, same wattage. But if memory serves me right, that is less money to the power company correct?
    Higher voltage means less amperage which is usually what helps determine the size of your wire. You can wire your lighting with smaller gauge wire - this could save a LOT right now with the price of wire!

You are billed by Kilowatts, so the answer is No - higher voltage lighting will not save you money each month. Higher voltage fixtures are said to be more efficient, but I have no first hand experience with the validity of that claim....

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I've downloaded the program and want to check where my lightlevel is. I have a footcandle meter due to my office furniture endeavors (supposed to have a certain FC level at the desktop) that I'll check it with also.

One of the important considerations is the colors of the ceiling/floors/walls. My lightlevel is likely not what it could be since I have dark walls, floors and ceiling. Light grey and white will imprve the numbers due to reflection.