Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develop.)

I've added a rough draft outline to the first post that can be found here:

http://toolandfab.com/forum/showpost...54&postcount=1

Feel free to change and add to as needed. Simply make any suggestions and I'll edit the outline accordingly...

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develop.)

Should mention perhaps,just common sense practices on electrical. The way I always tried to do is ( I'm no electricain) but always ran 12-2 with ground copper wire for my outlets , with 20 amp breakers and 20 amp outlets. Some might not realize they're different amperage rated 110 outlets. Then my lights 14-2 with ground copper with 15amp breakers. Did you consider GFI's on your outlets especially outdoors outlets. And how many outlets or lights per circuit as not to overload.My 220 electrical run used 10-3 with ground copper. The electrical feed to your shop,will it be direct burial and buried proper depth and the proper wire for direct burial and size. Will it be over head and where it is coming from, conduit feed down the side, meter box? If being feed from another location how many amp breaker are you going to use for the feed? Any other thoughts?

Good point Zonk!!

The length of the run also affects the amperage/voltage drop. Even on your service lines!!!!!!

A GFI breaker costs a bit more, but SAVES a TON More, the first time you and Ohms law take your aggressions out on each other.

Look at your lead cords. A 100' 14 gauge leadcord will KILL a decent power saw. It won't supply the juice it needs. Therefore lessens the HP, and creates an overload. Google "AWG" for more info. There is one site that will tell you the voltage & amps at 100'. I keep a 25' x 12 gauge for the LONGEST. Or I move the item!

20A outlets/12 ga. wire/20a breaker MINIMUM for wall outlets. you could do 14, but you are screwing yourself for anything over 15 amps. zzzz pop, zzzzpop, zzzzpop,zzzpop dammit!

$.99 Home depot outlets are NOT 20a!! Expect $3.00 or more!

220v. outlets required in at least 3 locations, if not more!! PLUS your compressor! Separate lines please!
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Looking at the draft,,, something on site preparation,, a person might want to survey how much grade difference there is in the site. Will you have to bring fill in or take out some dirt. Footing depth especialy northern areas below frost line. On pole buildings this could mean longer poles in one area of the building to get below frost line. Encapsulating the fill in concrete or other means so not to wash out under your floor,,, what type of fill to be used?
    Also if site is in low lying area where is water run off to, be sure not to any garage doors or openings. Winter time openings facing north or possible heavy snow drift areas. Which way rain gutters going to dump?
    Last edited by zonk; 08-24-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Updated the outline some...

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develo

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs
    $.99 Home depot outlets are NOT 20a!! Expect $3.00 or more!

220v. outlets required in at least 3 locations, if not more!! PLUS your compressor! Separate lines please!

I second this. I am not an electrican, but I have done more than my fair share of electrical work. And this does not only apply to your garage; DO NOT USE THE CHEAP ($.39) OUTLETS! Those things are terrible. Spend a little extra so you don't burn your house/garage down.

As far as the 220, the nec says they have to be their own runs. No branching a 220.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

http://images.grizzly.com/shopplanne...opplanner.aspx

A pretty cool link. Check it out.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Nice! Good Link Scott. Sad part is they don't have an object for all of my stuff. You can choose a dog and a cat in the misc. though. LOL!
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develo

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    As far as the 220, the nec says they have to be their own runs. No branching a 220.
    Here is the problem with this idea, as often as not you get bad information. The above is not correct...... BTW I'm not singling out Glens post it's just that there are allmost as many myths about electrical code as there are codes!

William....
    My shop pictures

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
    1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
    1955 Ford F100
    1941 Chevy Panel

What edition of NEC is Glenn referencing? I have one *somewhere*, but it's at least 5 years old - maybe older...

If it's truly a documented code (one way or the other), we need to get to the documented answer. (not doubting anyone here - just need some documented verification) Is it possible this is a regional interpretation?