Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develop.)

More Notes on heating:
    If you decide on forced air, so you can do air conditioning, you may want to use "Attic Trusses". And place all the ductwork above the ceiling. I wish I would have!! I used conventional trusses, and couldn't put the units above. In the mean time, you have all that exposed ductwork. AKA Dust catchers.

THIS ALSO AFFECTS LIGHTING PLANS!!!!! Ask me how I know?
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develop.)

The trusses are a good topic:

Note that if you plan to use the "attic" space for storage that you should talk to the truss manufacturer before you buy. Reason being is that most standard trusses are not designed to actually hold the weight of stored items. They are only designed to hold the roof. So talk to the manufacturer about live and dead loads up there. No one wants a truss to fail.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Typically, the bottom chord of a wood truss is good for 1# per sq foot. That 1/2" drywall with metal hat channel perpendicular, 16" o.c.
    Jeff

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

I did a monolithic slab for my shop in Ga. The county requires 8"x 8" footers and minimum 4 " slab, I went with 12"x12" and a 6" slab. I have an abundance of chainlink left over from a buddy, I was going to use in the slab but the county nixed that. I am guessing that they thought the galvanize would react with the concrete or not bond correctly. I don't really see the difference between the fence and the welded wire Lowes or Homedepot sales that is all rusted to begin with. Overall the slab has turned out great so far 36x40 with a power trowel finish. The contractor placed several cuts in it on straight down the middle at 18" and three down the sides at 10" I haven't put any coating on it and probably won't since I plan on doing a lot of welding and cutting. My understanding is the epoxy coating show burns pretty well. Check out the link on my signature if you like.
    If you are not going to do it right...Why bother???

My retreat from work!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...&albumid=20987

If anyone can get clearance from the inspectors to use it, or just wants the fence drop me a PM. I am in Columbia County in Ga. I need to get rid of it maybe we can work a deal.
    If you are not going to do it right...Why bother???

My retreat from work!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...&albumid=20987

What about interior walls, I put up white ribbed steel on the walls and ceiling.
    Reason being something long lasting,easy to clean,and wipe down if needed. What did you guys do and why?

Zonk,

I had the option for the wall kit through steelbuilding.com but I did not do it. At the time, I was thinking the wall girt would make a good shelf for stuff and did not want to cover it up. But now, I realize it would just collect junk all the time (as it already has) and I have nicked the insulation a couple of times.

I am going to use 2x4s and drywall on my interior walls and just cover the exterior walls with 5/8th in plywood painted white (up to the 8' level.) It should be nice and durable and easy to hang stuff on. I am going to install a sheet and test it before I do it all though as that is a lot of plywood.

Otherwise, I am going to end up framing in the entire inside.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I did the white metal on the ceiling, but the walls I used OSB & 2x4's. Using metal doesn't allow you to mount things to the walls as well. You have to build mini cleats, and not have anything but 29 ga. sheetmetal to hang from. Its also alot louder than painted board.

ONE SUGGESTION
    Use poly over the OSB to keep it from bleeding through, rough it up a bit, then paint. BINZ doesn't cut it. The brown will come through 2 coats!!
    Jeff

Talking Re: Making informed decisions when building your ultimate garage/shop (Article Develo

Hey guys, I'm a new member here. My father and I recently finished a DIY garage build, and I posted the progress on both GarageJunkies.net as well as E46Fanatics.com. I'd be happy to contribute to this thread. Here is a link to the thread I created on E46Fanatics.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=garage+build

Quote Originally Posted by zonk
    What about interior walls, I put up white ribbed steel on the walls and ceiling.
    Reason being something long lasting,easy to clean,and wipe down if needed. What did you guys do and why?

I'm putting 7/16" OSB in in mine (2x4 stud walls) over the top of R-11 insulation and 4 mil. vapor barrier. I wish I had painted it as I was starting the job, but I needed to get stuff out of the way and organize a bit while trying to keep warm out there. Rush, rush. I went with the OSB mainly because...

1. No drywall dust, taping or mudding, in a garage full of dust collecting items.

2. Nail or screw holes are pretty well concealed in the the OSB

3. Did I mention, no drywall dust??
    In a while, Chet.