Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

My Garage and My Introduction

Hi all! I have been lurking here a short time. but have already picked up some nice tips and info here. For that, I thank you all.

I also wanted to show some pictures of my new garage. First, I must say though that I have the most awesome wife in the whole world. We are building a new house and she actually let me build the garage first.

So with that said, here are the photos.

Here is a shot of the front

3/5 view with my Eagle Talon

Here is the frame

It is a 40X100 steel building (steelbuilding.com). It has 2 16X12, 1 16X8, and 1 12X12 rollup door. I am installing a lift where my Talon is sitting. The front half of the bay with the 16X8 door will be a walled off 2 car garage with storage over the top. The end bay with the 12X12 door will be walled off from the garage and will be my entertainment area (pool table, movie screen, etc..) The 12X12 was going to be for my travel trailer, but we sold it. There is also a full bathroom in the back of that bay with a sink, toilet, urinal, and shower. (I will post pics of it when it is finished.)

The concrete slab is 92 yards of concrete. They started at 3 in the morning and did not finish until 7 that night. There is a lot of pictures here:
    http://www.houseofshelton.com/gallery2/v/garageslab/

The rest of the garage building photos are here:
    http://www.houseofshelton.com/gallery2/v/garagebuild/

Again, happy to be here and I hope I can be an asset to the site.

Re: My Garage and My Introduction

Oh my God is that garage stellar! Does your wife have a sister?

Welcome Aboard!

I think I might be able to guess what you do for a living. That place looks great, I would love to have just one bay. Looking forward to the pic's of the house going up. You do not find many web site's that someone will take the time to show the progress in pictures. Keep up the good work and take care of that wife.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Oh my God is that garage stellar! Does your wife have a sister?

Welcome Aboard!
    Nope, no sister, but I bet I could make a fortune cloning her! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by blaserman
    I think I might be able to guess what you do for a living.
    I bet you can't. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by blaserman
    That place looks great, I would love to have just one bay. Looking forward to the pic's of the house going up. You do not find many web site's that someone will take the time to show the progress in pictures. Keep up the good work and take care of that wife.

Art
    It started as a 40X60 and grew and grew. I was going to build my father an apartment in there, but he ended up getting married and moving to GA. So I gained another bay. Boo Hooo. LOL!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Let me be the first to say what we all are thinking - YOU SUCK!

Just kidding, of course! I am jealous of the space you have put together - very nice. THe "you suck" thing usually applies to awesome items that happen to be aquired for nothing or next to nothing, so I guess it doesn't really apply here since that garage was obviously a tremendous amount of work and cash, but work with me here.....

We are expecting regular updates as you begin to inhabit this space and your new home, btw.

Welcome!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thank you Scott. And let me say that I plan to have some sweet cabinets because of you.

Yep G-Man, you suck !! LOL

Sweet shop! But what this NONSENSE about a ENTERTAINMENT ROOM IN A SHOP??

You realize that is blaphemy, right??

Lets review the 10 Commandments ONE MORE TIME,,OKEY?

1.) Thou shalt make nonstop ear piercing noise.
    2.) Thou shalt burn, grind, weld, and otherwise torture metal.
    3.) Thou shalt have naked women posters on the wall.
    4.) Thou shalt have one cheap USED frig,only for the purpose of storing drinks. (Alcoholic , or otherwise)
    5.) Thou shalt NOT have furniture that you CAN NOT sit in if you are greasy.
    6.) Thou shalt abide that dust shall NEVER be removed, unless by means of compressed air.
    7.) Thou shalt have a MINIMUM of one project sitting while working on others. (Just in case you feel like throwing a hammer)
    8.) Thou shalt not have carpeting larger than one piece to lay under a car on.
    9.) Thou shalt NEVER vacuum in the shop
    10.) Thou shalt NEVER cede shop space to storage for spousal or family units.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

My wife constantly breaks #10. Can I ban her? (I've already threatened to change the locks).

I concur with Driven.

And - if you do not have the police out to your dwelling at least twice a year to remind you of the noise ordinance, the only acceptable reason is that you have NO neighbors.....

You get extra points if, upon their arrival, the police have to remind you that there is a maximum safe occupancy limit for your dwelling and refer you to local fire codes. Maximum points are awarded if the fire marshal actually makes an appearance before the police write the citation...

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

You guys will love this......

I moved to where I am, 10+ years ago. Rural area. Everyone knows everyone. The Fire Dept goes around at Christmas time on a sleigh (on a snowmobile trailer) to give the resident kids candy. Every year, without fail, I meet the boys out there with a couple bottles of Christmas Cheer. Helps them endure the cold ride, ya know! Most years, they have extra tiedown straps on board, becuase they invariably have to tie down one of the firemen who imbibed a bit to much. LOL!! And as I hand them the booze, I always say "Repeat after me...<They join in Chorus> Get the faces out of the windows first, then SAVE THE GARAGE!!" We always laugh, and away they go.

LAST APRIL, my moron (true moron) neighbor puts ashes from his woodstove next to the burn barrel (remember, RURAL). Anyways, it had been REAL dry for 2 weeks, and the wind was blowing toward my house from his. The ashes relit in the dead grass a few hours after he tossed them there. My other neighbor (great guy, HUGE garage) sees the smoke, runs to my house and grabs the hose off the garage (which was just turned on the day before). He starts wetting my garage and pole barn, and the surrounding grass. Mrs Moron called 911 to report the fire. Told them it was headed toward my property. Didn't say anything about the 2 buildings full of cars and tools. Anyways she calls them again more than 20 minutes later and tells them, its gonna burn my place down. They send a car ahead, then send the trucks with the field truck for fighting brush fires. All while great guy is battling the fire with my hose. Firemen come ripping up the road, see NOTHING but BLACK SMOKE, call in, telling 911 its fully involved. Then get to the house(they can see the house from 1/2 mile. Cancel the 2 other companies. They get the truck stuck in the field. ..and a host of other maladies...
    Long story short: Great Neighbor saves my shop and polebarn! Fire Department Boys gets their balls busted for sending a CAR when its MY GARAGE is in peril. And Moron neighbor is still a moron. Polebarn STUNK for a week!! Fastforward to Christmas last December.. As I hand them the bottles of cheer, smirking, I bust on them hard. " Sure Mr. Parker, next time theres a fire, we'll bring the condiments to go with the hotdogs!! Oh, and sorry about the garages..."
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!