Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: My Garage and My Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs
    A couple things come to mind.

1.) 2 car parking. Will you be able to drive both through the door, or will you have to drive one in, slide it over and then drive the other one in. Remember door swings. You MAY need to adjust your walls accordingly. You might find that the truck can't drive inbecause the Talon is in the way.
    All the doors except the one in the entertainment area are 16 feet wide. So you can pull 2 cars in side by side with no issues. The works bays are wide enough and deep enough for 4 cars (of normal length) each.

2.) Corridor from mechanics bays to bathroom. You don't want to walk through your clean room having all sorts of grinding dust and slag all over you when nature calls.
    I think I have talked myself out of the clean room anyway. The bathroom had to be where it is because of the septic tank location. The more I thought about it the dumber the clean room is as I do not do that many engine/tranny builds. So there sits a room neglected. Plus with the entry door coming in there, too much dirt could get in there.

3.) Pallet racks suck. That was me. Plan on using 2x4 similar to what I built. I have been playing in garages for 35 years now (since I was 8) and re-arranging things all the time. AMOF, I should have done mine a BIT different. I should have made the lower row of shelving come out deeper to better hide the motors and trannies. I COULD put them sideways, but that loses too much space. You can actually use the first row of shelving (in my setup) as a bench, with the right planning, and store the motors below. I may re-do mine, when the drag car gets done.
    Yup, it was you I was reading about. Thank you for saving me a ton of time and money.

4.) Welding area. Stick it in the corner. Easier to keep the mess contained.
    Place a vertical stock rack adjacent to it. KEEP EVERYTHING ON ROLLERS (locking), so you can move it to sweep it out. Get a few cheap welding screens. Helps contain mess and sparks.
    Welding screens? Can you give me a little more info on these?

As for the rollers... no doubt! I had a neighbor that was cleaning under his bench one time. Reached under to get some crap out and a rattle snake bit him! Ever since then, I don't reach under anything in the garage. LOL!

5.) Vacuum system: Hey , its expensive, but it sure is nice.
    I have a nice shopvac.

6.) Wrong location. That buidling should be in my back yard.
    For the right amount of money it can be. LOL!

7.) Mountain Dew? Your a Northerner!! Otherwise, Mello Yellow!
    I'm from Minnesota originally. But I was a Floridian long before I started drinking Mountain Dew. It is the only Pepsi product I like more than the Coke option.

8.) Upstairs storage: EXCELLENT idea!!! Be sure to leave room for fenders, truck lids, etc. WIDE STAIRS!! and a removeable railing/wall section for easy lift up for bulky stuff.
    The stairs are the only thing that are giving me issues at this point. I mean seriously, they are a total waste of space for the downstairs portion. LOL! But I hear you on the removable railing. I am looking into some type of hoist or forklift to get parts up top easier.

9.) Entertainment center is too big. (IMO) If you are working on stuff all the time, you will never see that section of the building.
    I consider that area dead space anyway. It was where my fathers apartment was going to be. So now it just does not work out to be anything else for me. Had I known ahead of time, I would not have configured the roll up doors like I did.

10.) YOU WANT HOT/COLD WATER IN THE SHOP AREA!!! Pressure washer, hot tank, etc...
    This is not a problem. Because of the bathroom, code is making me put in a water heater. (Who wants to take a cold shower anyway?)

11.) Wash bay?? Maybe something as simple as a pull around curtain, to wash a vehicle inside, away from that Florida sun.
    I thought about this, but the floor of the garage is so flat that the water will not leave.

I built a 24X40 fenced "impound" yard at the end of the building for car storage. It will be covered soon and will be a good place to wash.

There's more, but I am already WAY too jealous!! LOL
    Trust me... I know I am a lucky man! I never thought I would see something like this in my life time. The building (inc. doors and all trim) was just over $30K and the concrete was $18K. Not bad for what I got, but a lot of money.

Thanks for the input.

Think about setting up those "Scott" boxes back to back, so you don't eat up your wall space.
    What would you do with the wall space instead?

Sure you don't want to fly me down there?
    Well if you ever make it down, you are welcome to come visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    I think this guy will fit in just fine....
    Thanks! Like I said, I did a lot of reading on here before I signed up. And for the record... I dish it out only because I can take it.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Just do a EBAY search for Portable Welding Screen. An 8' section(6' high) runs $75 or so. Get a couple, and they help cut down the grinding dust and sparks from spraying all over. Its just a frame with a yellow/clear vinyl fabric inside it.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Glenn, ......... Been watching this thread and have got to say that your shop is what most of the rest of us dream about.

Whens the shop warming party going to take place?

You've got a real nice shop and I just wished that mine was almost as big.
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

I will do that Jeff. I think I seen what you are talking about somewhere in a catalog.

Thanks Bill. Like I said, I never imagined having it. My Wife is awesome.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

G -

Let me know if you need anything on the workstations. I could be talked into cutting the drawers if needed - they are the most time consuming thing seconded by mounting the drawer slides.

My time is short these days, so I can't comment too much on this or any other thread, but I am watching and would appreciate routine updates!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I really appreciate that Scott. That is mighty nice of you. It will surely be 6 months before I am ready though. Got to build the house first.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

WHAT??? House first??? Dude, you are losing points FAST !!!! LOL
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Unfortunetly I do not have power in the garage yet. So working in there is very limited.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Hey Fellas, I'm a new guy, so pardon me for butting in the conversation.

Quick question for you GShelton.. Did the 30K include erection or did you have to do that yourself?

Right now I've got a wood frame cement floor 40x70x12 with septic,well, and full bath quoted at $67K. I'm thinking of going bigger (50x80?) but I want to compare with the cost to build with steel. 18K seems reasonable for a slab that size. I'm 29 and still single so no problem getting permission. I do want to get it built before the right one comes along or it's futile.

Almost forgot to ask(and sorry if it's too far off topic).. What CNC table are you looking at getting? I just bought a Hypertherm 1000 with plans to buy a table in the future. I've priced a couple different ones but still looking to compare. Gotta get the shop built first.

Hi Brado,

No, the $30K was just the cost of the building and doors. My wife, father and I put it together. (There was also the expense of the forklift too. I don't remember exact cost, but it was not cheap. I am thinking it was about $250 a day, $750 a week, $1400 a month.) You will also want to make sure to have a O/A torch available to persuade things to fit. LOL!

Go to www.steelbuilding.com and do a quote. You get to design the building and see realtime prices for it. Plus you can make changes to your quote realtime. The support both before and after purchase was fantastic.

As for assembly, the average quote I got was about $24K here in Central Florida. I knew I was going to assemble it myself but I wanted to know what I was saving. They say to figure on $4 to $6 per sq ft. My area was at the top of that range.

I am looking at the plasmacam. www.plasmacam.com Request their video, it is pretty awesome.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics