Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: My Garage and My Introduction

Great story Jeff. Glad it ended like that.

You guys are too much though. I will have to post a picture of the floor plan so you can see what is planned. If I do not have the entertainment room, I will have no where for my pool table. And moreso, I have always wanted a home theatre. (I mean a BIG screen. )

But, to beat #10, I am building a 10X20 shed to store the lawn equipment and other misc. I don't want that crap in my garage. LOL!

POOL TABLE??? WHo has time for that, with a shop that big??

Between Bradenton, Gainsville and Moroso Park, that shop should be FULL Of hotrods, race vehicles, etc.

OK, we'll let you throw some woodworking in as a diversion....But you really need to show us what tools you plan on putting in there. Or....send me your address and credit card number, and I can set you up nice..... Hope you got a high budget for tooling!!!

(You ARE putting air conditioning in there, right?)

Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Wow, size does matter!! Great building, would be fun
    filling that with project's. Will be waiting for the 'finish'
    pic's (like there ever finished!)
    Good luck, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs

(You ARE putting air conditioning in there, right?)
    With the cost of the building and the 92 yards of concrete... Who can afford A/C? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by GShelton
    But, to beat #10, I am building a 10X20 shed to store the lawn equipment and other misc. I don't want that crap in my garage. LOL!
    Mine is planned and ready to go. Getting quotes now...

OK, here is the current (not set in stone) floor plan for the garage.

The bathroom was designed when my father apartment was going to be in there or I would have made it smaller. The plumbing is already there so it stays as is. It has a sink, a toilet, a urinal (always wanted one) and a shower.

The area right out of the bathroom door will have a deep sink and a drinking fountain.

The entertainment area will have 12' high ceilings to allow enough room for the A/C ducts and such.

The 2 car parking and the woodworking/clean room (I will get there in a second) will have 8 foot ceilings. This is to allow me to have storage as a second floor above it. (As well as over the bathroom.)

The 2 car parking was designed the way it is to keep all the dust out of there. I have a 1992 Chevy pickup that is being built for show. I want it to stay dust free. I also want to park my Talon in there as the garage on the house will be where I park my daily driver truck.

The woodshop/clean room was originally intended to be a woodshop. My father likes to do wood working (as do I sometimes) but now that he is not going to be living with us, I am not sure if I want a room just for woodworking. However, I am also not sure I need a clean room (motor and tranny assembly, etc..) Plus with the outside door coming into that room, that could cause issues. So I will work through this. It does need to be a seperate room to hold up the trusses for the second floor.

The rest of the space is pure work space. After looking at Scott's (Mxtras) cabinets I made a few small design changes to suite my needs and I want to build enough to cover the smurf blue area. The brown area will be just regular open based work benched with thick wooded tops. I will store motors and transmissions underneath them. (I was going to go with pallet shelving for motor/trans storage but I read on here someone was not happy with theirs.)

The red off to the side is the welding area. It will be setup with a welding table, chop saw, etc.. I am also looking at buying a CNC plasma table so it will go in the back corner over there.

Then the green. It will be a cubby storage area like they have at M5 Industries on Myth Busters. That way I can store all my misc stuff and know where it is.

The rest of the space will have my fire cabinet, fastener cabinet, etc..

I am also looking for a full sized Mountain Dew vending machine to put in there.

I am open to suggestions from everyone. If you think something will not work well, let me know. This is only my second real garage. The one I am in now is 24X30 and in the 3 years I have lived here, I have never had it setup correctly.

A couple things come to mind.

1.) 2 car parking. Will you be able to drive both through the door, or will you have to drive one in, slide it over and then drive the other one in. Remember door swings. You MAY need to adjust your walls accordingly. You might find that the truck can't drive inbecause the Talon is in the way.

2.) Corridor from mechanics bays to bathroom. You don't want to walk through your clean room having all sorts of grinding dust and slag all over you when nature calls.

3.) Pallet racks suck. That was me. Plan on using 2x4 similar to what I built. I have been playing in garages for 35 years now (since I was 8) and re-arranging things all the time. AMOF, I should have done mine a BIT different. I should have made the lower row of shelving come out deeper to better hide the motors and trannies. I COULD put them sideways, but that loses too much space. You can actually use the first row of shelving (in my setup) as a bench, with the right planning, and store the motors below. I may re-do mine, when the drag car gets done.

4.) Welding area. Stick it in the corner. Easier to keep the mess contained.
    Place a vertical stock rack adjacent to it. KEEP EVERYTHING ON ROLLERS (locking), so you can move it to sweep it out. Get a few cheap welding screens. Helps contain mess and sparks.

5.) Vacuum system: Hey , its expensive, but it sure is nice.

6.) Wrong location. That buidling should be in my back yard.

7.) Mountain Dew? Your a Northerner!! Otherwise, Mello Yellow!

8.) Upstairs storage: EXCELLENT idea!!! Be sure to leave room for fenders, truck lids, etc. WIDE STAIRS!! and a removeable railing/wall section for easy lift up for bulky stuff.

9.) Entertainment center is too big. (IMO) If you are working on stuff all the time, you will never see that section of the building.

10.) YOU WANT HOT/COLD WATER IN THE SHOP AREA!!! Pressure washer, hot tank, etc...

11.) Wash bay?? Maybe something as simple as a pull around curtain, to wash a vehicle inside, away from that Florida sun.

There's more, but I am already WAY too jealous!! LOL
    Jeff

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Oh,
    Easy roll around tool storage ( only good boxes like snap on Mac, etc. because the craftsman don't roll as well. TRUST ME!) Or Custom MX boxes!!

A few tool carts for lugging around specialty tools, that you keep in Scotts boxes.

Think about setting up those "Scott" boxes back to back, so you don't eat up your wall space.

Air Plumbing: Forget about putting air taps every 8' around the perimeter. It doesn't work. Go with 3 or 4 ceiling pull down retractable air lines (50' x 1/2" hose) Buy all high volume air taps. The typical Aero B are too small, and create too much heat( condensation) Instead of 1/4", get the 3/8"! (Or buy my 1/4"ers from me!)

Power: Same thing Use retractables, but install quite a few. No jerking with lead cords all day!!

Any wall outlets, make them 2 gang, instead of single gang duplex

Welding outlets : Welding area, near doors and a few other places.

Cable TV in the shop, as well as telephones

Sure you don't want to fly me down there?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs
    A couple things come to mind.

6.) Wrong location. That buidling should be in my back yard.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by GShelton
    After looking at Scott's (Mxtras) cabinets I made a few small design changes to suite my needs and I want to build enough to cover the smurf blue area.
    I think this guy will fit in just fine....