What brand do you prefer?

what brand of cordless tools do yall prefer? i am thinking about getting a cordless set or buy a couple cordless tools individually. i would like them to be all the same brand so i can interchange batteries, but that is not required...

tools i'm thinking about are: drill, circular saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw, possibly impact gun but those are pretty pricey...and the sets always seem to come with a flashlight

i was thinking 18v...

what do you suggest?

Re: What brand do you prefer?

I think you are pretty limited in what lines offer all that stuff in cordless. Might only be Dewalt. I think there's alot to be said for battery interchangability.

I know they are much improved, but I'm not a believer in battery powered saws. When I'm doing a woodworking project, I'm pretty demanding on my tools/available power output. While the lack of cords would be nice, the annoyance of worrying about how much charge I have left outweighs any benefit (IMO). Plus, the battery powered circular saws are only 6".

Here's my lineup:

Cordless Drills: 18v Makita, 9.6v Makita, and 14.4v Rt. Angle DeWalt
    Circular Saws: Porter Cable Magnesium 7 1/4, Porter Cable Worm Drive Trim Saw (4 1/2")
    Jigsaw: Bosch Top Handle (Barrel grip on my wishlist)
    Reciporicating: Makita Corded
    Impact: AIR!! IR 2135Ti

With all that being said, I will likely look to DeWalt to outfit my onboard toolbox in my 4Runner. Looking at 18v grinder, reciporicating, and a drill or two. Impact will be air.

so as of now the only cordless tools you have are drills? hmmm

I have cordless metal shears (Dewalt 14.4v) and I've had a cordless (old old) Dremel and a Cordless Rotozip that have both been "retired". IMO things that need to spin fast for extended periods need a cord.

Also have the obligatory Dewalt flashlight.

I've used the Dewalt cordless circular saw and was unimpressed with it. The only one I will likely be trying is the cordless reciporicating saw.
    Last edited by Cebby; 04-27-2006 at 08:39 AM.

I know they have gotten beat up a lot over the years but I am a Skill cordless fan. I have only owned two cordless drills - the first Skill lasted me almost 15 years - same battery. So I bought Skill again. This time I bought a set from Home Cheapo - it had a Sawzall, circular saw, drill/driver and a flashlight. It's 18V and the stuff is really awesome out of the box. THe drill has features the others do not have - such as - the spindle locks when the trigger is off so you can tighten the crap out of the keyless without using two hands - VERY nice feature, and it has arse-loads of torque. The issue with this drill is durability. I am beginning to have problems with it (it's 2 years old and gets used a lot every day). It basically will not stay in gear. I am thinking of returning it to see if I can con them into a new one.....

Anyway - Flame me all you like - I like the Skill stuff.

DeWalt doesn't do anything for me. Hitachi seems awesome and my contractor-neighbor uses a bunch of their stuff and has nothing but good stuff to say about it but the price isn't all that cool with me. Milwaukee makes some good stuff but I think their batteries are garbage and so are the chucks they use.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I have had, and still have, quite a few cordless tools. It depends on the level of use whether it is worth buying the big names or not. My favorites are Makita and DeWalt but they are among the most expensive.

I have a Ryobi 18V kit I got as a gift. I was dissapointed when I got it but I have been using it for about three years on a fairly regular basis and I have to admit, I like it. It is the one with the small cirbular saw, a drill, sawzall and flashlight. I also bought a jig saw as well. They have performed better than expected under heavy use. The only complaint I have is the battery life expectancy. I had to replace them once and now it is beginning to look like they will need to be replaced again. They are on sale from time to time for $25 each so it's not the end of the world.

My DeWalt and Makita stuff is older and all have the original batteries. The only one showing signs of biting the dust is the old 12V drill. I won't be buying a battery for that. I got it before the 18V stuff came out.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus