2 Junk Compressoers into one good one, How do I reverse the motor?

I've got two compressors laying in my yard, One is one of those damned noisy, worthless oilfree jobs, with a good roll around tank.
    The other is a good V twin oil type, that's about 75 years old. it's got a newer electric motor on it, but for a tank, all it's got is a hot dog style tank that you'd find on an 18 wheeler. it's been cobbled together out of spare parts.
    The Oil-free motor landed in the pile of chopped up suburban in my driveway. I never want to hear that gawd-awful loud turd again. I pulled the good compressor off of the homegrown tank last night, but the way it wants to go onto the new tank, it looks like the motor will spin backwards. By the way, this is a two cylinder single stage, both cylinders go strait into the tank, not from one cylinder to the other cylinder and then to the tank.
    I know compressors work off of reed valves, so it would "work" backwards, but I'd rather it work as designed.
    So, if I wanted to reverse the motor, do I just switch the black and white wires? There's three wires in the power cord, black white and green, the greeen is grounded to the frame of the motor.
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

Re: 2 Junk Compressoers into one good one, How do I reverse the motor?

AC motor control is not one of my strong points, but it sounds like it is a capacitor start motor. I don't think reversing the leads will do it but I am not really sure. I will dig a little during lunch......

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Scott, the 3 wire cord was from the oil free motor, the motor on the V-twin only has a 2 wire cord, I think.
    Call Me with all your Trucking/ Transportation Needs!
    Jeff Watts
    Watts Family Trucking
    Toll Free 877-729-1233
    USDOT# 1609624
    MC# 595213

45' of open deck, 28,000# of cargo!

Building a www.tremormuv.com Check it out!!!!

Stolen from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor :

"Another common single-phase AC motor is the split-phase induction motor, commonly used in major appliances such as washing machines and clothes dryers. Compared to the shaded pole motor, these motors can generally provide much greater starting torque by using a special startup winding in conjunction with a centrifugal switch.

In the split phase motor, the startup winding is designed with a higher resistance than the running winding. This creates an LR circuit which slightly shifts the phase of the current in the startup winding. When the motor is starting, the startup winding is connected to the power source via a set of spring-loaded contacts pressed upon by the not-yet-rotating centrifugal switch. The starting winding is wound with fewer turns of smaller wire than the main winding, so it has a lower inductance (L) and higher resistance (R). The lower L/R ratio creates a small phase shift, not more than about 30 degrees, between the flux due to the main winding and the flux of the starting winding. The starting direction of rotation may be reversed simply by exchanging the connections of the startup winding relative to the running winding."

So - I sounds like it can be done, but I have made some assumptions in determining what type motor you have. BUT - it also sounds like you would have to take the motor apart to make the changes - simply reversing the leads will not do it. Then again - I am assuming I know which type motor you have and I could be wrong about that.

What does the cord connection look like inside the "pecker-head" of the motor - or does the cord get wired into one end of the motor?

That old V-Twin motor likey did not have a grounded plug - if it's old that is a good possibility. Adding the green ground wire to the motor's case is a good idea.

You may have better luck getting that older motor to run reverse than the newer motor - depends on the number of leads coming from the windings of the motor.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done