Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: A shed is an extension of the garage/shop - lets see them!

Thanks guys. The views around Juneau have really enticed me to want to take a photography class or something. I'd love to learn how to take pics that even partially capture the natural beauty of this place.

One thing I wanted to comment on was the amount of plastic tarps we went through. Because we don't have the typical "dry" summer up here, I had to keep covering my work. Add to that typical winds that blow up the valley and I spent almost $200 in plastic. The last and greatest failure was during a wind event with gusts up to 60mph. I had a full 20'x25' sheet on the roof. We had just finished putting down all of the tar paper. I stapled the plastic around all of the edges and had every scrap of wood on the roof. This included several 14' 2x6's and many 2x4's. The wind picked up around 4:30 pm so I went out to make sure everything was still holding. I was on the backside of the shed when a good gust came through and picked up the tarp, tore off the tar paper on the short side of the roof, and threw EVERYTHING into the fence. My wife watched it go from the window and feared it was going to land on me! Thankfully that was not the case

Three weeks of straight rain and we finally got a break and finished the roof.

Erich

Well here's an update:

We've pretty much completed painting it, built doors and installed the window. I still have to finish the trim boards on the corners and build the ramp. I also need to excavate the the top soil under the covered area and place gravel. I also want to grade the ground under the drip edge.

I got some shelves for free that I'm going to modify. They are aluminum angle iron originally built for fish tanks. They are worth a ton in just scrap aluminum, so free is pretty awesome!

Any one have ideas for cleaning up the corrosion? There are several spots where constant water has corroded them pretty bad.

Erich

Isn't that just some surface scale on the AL? Nice score!

The shed is looking great - I like the kayak storage hoist.

I'd get a stainless steel wire cup brush for a grinder and clean them up that way....then if you want them to shine wet sand them with some 180 then 320 and finish them up with a polish or some zoop sealer if you want it to last longer

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Isn't that just some surface scale on the AL? Nice score!

The shed is looking great - I like the kayak storage hoist.
    Thanks! I guess you could call it surface scale. Because the shelves held fish tanks, anywhere that was constantly wet has a yellow crust on it. I've picked up a brush with a scraping edge on it and knocked off most of it.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    I'd get a stainless steel wire cup brush for a grinder and clean them up that way....then if you want them to shine wet sand them with some 180 then 320 and finish them up with a polish or some zoop sealer if you want it to last longer
    I'm not looking for a shine, I just want to clean them up so they don't look crusty any more. I have a cup brush for my grinder, no idea if it's stainless steel though. Thanks for the tip!

Erich

Tree vs. Shed... Shed wins!

We had some really high winds today along with a lot of rain and it all came together to give us a tree on our shed and several sections of our back fence down.

The gusts were easily over 60 mph. The shed caught the tree like a champ and other than some bent flashing it came away with out a scratch! This was no small tree either. I called a co-worker for help and he cut it free. When he cut it, the root end stood back up!

My wife and I repaired the fence in the back, but the one on the side is still partially down. You'll notice that the trees on the side of the shed are leaning, and are in danger of landing on our neighbors house! The roots are coming out of the ground and actually caused the fence to blow apart from the force. The owner of the house stopped by after I called to warn him and he's having a tree guy come to take them out. Secretly I hope they fall (not on the house though) so the roots come free so I can make some more flat ground under my covered area. Hehehe

And as icing on the cake, I bashed my middle finger as we finished the repairs, so my nail is black and throbbing. So I'm typing with one hand

Erich

Nice little mess you have there!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thanks

They are calling for high winds the rest of the day, and they were building on my way to work, so those leaning trees may be down soon

Erich

Neat pics Erich. Wild how that tree popped back up after he cut the top off. Good to see the beef that is your shed held up to the forces of nature!