Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Bar

Coffee Bar

I am building a coffee bar for the bike shop. I wanted to share some progress pics with you guys. The bar is going to be 7' long x 4' deep x about a 4' top heigth. The main bar top will be made out of carbon fiber. The lower work area will just be a finished wood surface (that may change). It will house a mini fridge and be fully wired with outlets. The entire bar will be metal that is polished and clear coated. There will also be a 5' wide drawer that will look like a metal tool box drawer. The feet will be bike pedals and there will be bike freewheels as spacers between the counter top and the bar.

Here is what I started with. A pile of steel and some brackets and tabs.

Here is what the pedals are going to look like as feet.

Here is where I am at right now. It has been very slow going. I get about 2 hrs a day to work on it. It is all tacked together. I feel like I am building a ship in a bottle. I am going to have to dissasemble it to get it out of the basement and then fully weld it outside.

Here is how the top of the bar will go together. I think this is pretty trick. There is about 6 parts to each top, all welded together and ground down so that they will fit together tightly.

This is how it starts out. there is a threaded insert welded to the top of the tube.

Then the freewheel slids on there.

Then the top plate bolts down through the freewheel. The plate it's self will be screwed to the bottom of the counter top.

Last edited by Trailer Rails; 04-07-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Re: Coffee Bar

Did someone here say COFFEE, BAR and BIKES in the same sentence????

OK! You have my full attention!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I got a little bit more done today.

It's almost ready for dissasembly, maybe by this weekend if I am lucky.

I got an update from the carbon guy. I gotta give him a little promo, check out www.kradcarbon.com He will do almost anything with custom carbon work. Car parts to computer cases to bar tops.

This is the bar top I gave him.
    I made it using 2 peices of 3/4" birch plywood and gluing them together. Then cut the pattern out and routed the edges down.

Here are some of the raw carbon being laied up on top.

Here is what it looks like currently.
    It still needs a epoxy coat or two.

Hmmmm Carbon...... I like it!

If you don't mind me asking, how much does that amount of carbon fiber work cost. I've always wanted to incorporate carbon fiber into some furniture designs I've come up with, but have been hestant to investigate it because - a: don't know enough about it and b: through the grapevine have thought it was cost prohibitive.

It's not cheep, I think the carbon it's self was about $150-200. Total bill for the 8' long 2' wide with a little 1'x2' corner is going to be around $500. It will fit in real well at the bike shop because a lot of bikes have some type of carbon on them, there are a few that are practily all carbon.
    Last edited by Trailer Rails; 04-07-2006 at 10:40 AM.

What's the guy's name?

That's some nice work!

Scott

His name is Jason, not shure on his last name, I have his card somewhere if you realy want it.

Na - no need to dig for the info. I was just curious. At one time, there were few in the industry that I did not know - from boat builders to F-1 builders - I pretty much knew of most everyone in the composites industry or they knew of me. Those days are gone...and so is my memory.

Scott

The carbon top is done, I will be picking it up tomorrow. The base is almost done; I finished everything I can in the basement, I dissasembled it and I will be taking it out in the next couple days. The drawer came out sweet. I will also be picking up all the sheet metal to cover the whole thing tomorrow. The work surface (the wood you see in the below pics) will be covered with stainless sheet. I am so stoked to be getting this done.

All that is left to do is ressemble and paint. I think that should not take too long.

What do you guys think of the pics, not too bad for a camera phone huh? I may never carry my digital camera with me again, the phone can hold a couple thousand pics too!