Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Labelling your drawers and storage

I'm like Charlie and bds. I just sort of have a map in my mind where everything is as far as tools go. When someone is helping, I have to explain which drawer everything is in though which does kind of suck.

For bins of stuff that I don't go into very often I use these really high tech labels. Basically they are white electrical tape with a black Sharpie marker. This method also works well for marking wiring harnesses during motor swaps.

Hey Ceby? Where do you find the time to make labels for all your stuff? I can barely find enough time to put the damn tools back where they go.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower_hd
    Hey Ceby? Where do you find the time to make labels for all your stuff? I can barely find enough time to put the damn tools back where they go.
    The only time I can do any labelling is when it gets too late for me to work (due to noise and neighbors) I usually won't do anything loud after maybe 11pm/midnight. I'm pretty sure my neighbors can only hear stuff like wood saws and routers though - maybe grinding/chop saw too....

I look at it as a time saving measure in the long run. Even though I know where stuff is in my toolbox, I still end up pulling 3 or 4 drawers open when I need something. Plus the obvious benefit of my helpers puttiing stuff where it belongs or being able to find stuff without a roadmap. Unfortunately, this doesn't keep me from piling tools on my workbench instead of putting them away - although it makes it easier to put them away when I run out of workbench space...

With the clear bins, labelling stuff helps keep me from buying stuff 2 and 3 times (I have a history of doing this...)

Cebby -

Earlier in this thread you said you were looking for white on clear labels - I see you found them. Where did you get this stuff?

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

I found them at Office Depot. Staples and Ofice Max do NOT stock them (at least around here). I think they only keep one on the shelf, too. Everytime I go to gt one, I take the last one.

I know you know this, but you never know:

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=414.pdf

These guys show lots of variations I have not seen elsewhere including silver and some really bright colors. Check it out. Some of the tapes don't work in all machines, so pay attention!

Scott

Those prices are pretty good. I wonder if they bone you on shipping like the others I've found online try to do?

I placed several orders with these guys while I was putting my mill together earlier this year and I don't recall getting boned for shipping but I will look to see what their average boning charge was for my orders. I will follow up - just for grins.

Scott

What? You guys don't use duct tape and Sharpies? Scott, I have some Smurfie colored drawers in the bunch in honor of you. If anyone asks I tell 'em about my hero MX
    Last edited by Wyoming; 07-12-2006 at 12:57 AM.