Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: buying /building a sandblaster

Well, the one I wanted HF didn't have, so I got the $50 hopper style one from sears. Works fine, heres a pic of some work i did today

It doesn't 'suck' sand all the time, kinda comes and goes. about 50% all together. Does nice work, but really makes my cheap compressor run trying to keep up, especially with the time it's just blowing air.

I know where you're coming from. My 4hp 25 gal craftman had a hard time keeping up with my cabinet. Ran all the time - I didn't have any sort of dryer on it (didn't know any better). It did ....OK. Sold the compressor, still have the cabinet. Still trying to get a decent 2 stage for a reasonable price...

Cebby, .......... Check out this web site: www.eaglecompressor.com

They have many different styles and sizes of compressors. I am looking at purchasing a 5 hp 3 cyclinder, single stage unit. I know, I know 2 stage is the only way to go, but a friend of mine owns one of these units and uses it pretty heavy. He has his own shop and runs all kinds of air tools that use alot of cfm. He also has a blast cabinet and it doesn't have any problem supplying more air than the cabinet can consume. On start up, it will pump up just about as fast as a 2 stage unit. He has had his unit about 2 years and is quite happy with it. At the time he purchased his, he was in the market for only a 2 stage unit, but someone he knew told him about this unit, and after some research, he was sold.

The unit I'm looking at is:

Model: C5160V1 18.5 cfm @ 100#. 60 gallon vertical tank. 150# max. pressure.
    Price: $799.00

The 2 stage model that compares to this unit does have a 80 gal. tank and is rated at 200# max. pressure. That's about the only difference. Both units have the same 18.5 cfm output.
    Price: $1100.00

I missed a sale they had about 3 weeks ago. I could have got the unit for $699.00.

You will have to find out where there is a distributor, in your area, that sells these units. There is a link on their web page that will give you that info.

After seeing my friends unit in operation and what he can do with it, for $300.00 less, I can live with 20 gallons less of air storage. I can always use my other 60 gal. tank, which I got from another friend and it's almost new, and tie in into the new compressor and have 120 gallons.

BTW, These compressors are made in Canada, not Japan.

Hope this helps.
    BILL

Miller 251 wirefeed
    Miller Dailarc 250 AC/DC
    Thremo Dynamics 1000XR Plasma
    Weldcraft TIG torch
    Victor O/A torch
    DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
    B&D Super Wildcat 9" grinder
    JD2 Model 3 Tubing Bender
    7"x12" horiz. bandsaw

Weldors, ........... Best arc makers since NOAH.

I posted pics of this on a weld thread also.

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa_97sr5 View Post
    Well, the one I wanted HF didn't have, so I got the $50 hopper style one from sears. Works fine, heres a pic of some work i did today

It doesn't 'suck' sand all the time, kinda comes and goes. about 50% all together. Does nice work, but really makes my cheap compressor run trying to keep up, especially with the time it's just blowing air.
    I think I have the same one you have. I just kept blowing air back through the gun by placing the tip against a rag and giving it a quick shot or two. It also seems to work better with a full hopper than with a half empty one. Wriggling the hopper every once in a while seems to help too. The manual says to reduce the preassure to below 40 psi before flushing it but I think that's so they don't get sued by some dummy that puts a thin pice of cotton on his bare hand and blasts 125 psi of sand into his hand. I put the rag on a piece of plywood 1st and it seems to work fine.

I am using Black Beauty. I'm using mine on the bottom of my bed. It does work well but it sure does make a mess. I suppose I could build a balsting cabinet that I can put the whole bed in and walk around it. Oh wait a minute, I already have one of those, it's called a garage.
    In my family, goodness is just badness that hasn't had a drink yet. -Christopher Titus

i purchased a sandblaster from princess auto. it is a 5 gallon pressurized tank model for $70.00 on sale. it's not large but when you refill it'll give you, and the compressor a bit of a break and well deserved rest. it was well worth it. a great buy.
    with the siphon model,as well as all model blasters you want to keep the sand dry and they will flow nice and smooth.
    you also want to make sure you have a decent compressor otherwise your wasting sand.
    bob

[If you are looking for a quality built blast cabinet go to www.badboyblasters.com . We offer cabinets from 33" to 96" in length

Quote Originally Posted by badboyblasters View Post
    [If you are looking for a quality built blast cabinet go to www.badboyblasters.com . We offer cabinets from 33" to 96" in length
    What sort of PSI/CFM do you recommend for a blast cabinet?