Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Cart Fabrication Questions

It's pretty close. I need to take it to a welder in town and have it finished off. The riveted scab plates just aren't tight enough for my liking.

I need redesign the links a bit as I have too much axle wrap. I'm planning on ladder bars of sorts to just get it to work.

I was looking at a independent suspension set up that I may switch to at some point. At my current rate, that would happen about 2 years from now

I'll post up some pics when I get it welded.

Erich

Well, I got it welded up and took it out for a test run this weekend. Me and the pup hiked into some ponds to look for some ducks. It was mostly a shake down and exploration trip. I didn't take a camera with me, but I got some pics before we left.

I still need to redo the control arms, but the side movement wasn't too bad. It was easier to push the trailer and I could keep an eye on everything.

Erich

I got my axle back from the welder and just need to finish the links.

I want to make a hitch system like the lock n roll but it works just fine as a hand trailer at this point.

I'll snap some more pics soon.

Any responses?

Erich

Looks like it turned out well. What are you planning to tow it with? The reason I ask is because I have an old Popular Mech magazine that has a bike trailer (made of PVC pipe), anyway, the hitch was made from 2 eye bolts (looped through each other) and then it used an air compressor fitting for the "latch." This would allow it to pivot in all the directions like the lock n roll. HTH.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I think it turned out great - I want to see some pics of it in action with the kayak on it!

Here's the only pics I have so far. It was dark when we finally hiked out from hunting some old dredge ponds near the glaicer. The beavers have free reign of the place so a bunch of the trail was flooded

Here's one of my pup and the trailer

I ran with the trialer for a little bit to see how it did. The dog thought it was a blast! It seemed to handle pretty well considering it had no lateral support for the springs. Luckly I had them secured and wasn't trying to use a spring pocket set up.

Here's a pic of the axle. I had the hoop added for the upper links.

Erich
    Last edited by Erich_870; 10-12-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Looks like it turned out well. What are you planning to tow it with? The reason I ask is because I have an old Popular Mech magazine that has a bike trailer (made of PVC pipe), anyway, the hitch was made from 2 eye bolts (looped through each other) and then it used an air compressor fitting for the "latch." This would allow it to pivot in all the directions like the lock n roll. HTH.
    Thanks

I'm going to tow it behind my mt. bike. There are several duck hunting areas that are hike in only, but they have very good trail access. I actually built a PVC prototype in college that I used until it finally broke one morning and it took me all day to get back to my rig

Anyway, I've seen several options where people have used rope or plastic coated cable to loop the bike's seat post. Eventually I want a system like the lock n roll that is tight and doesn't rattle or feel sloppy.

Erich

Instead of 4 link + panhard, you might want to consider a wishbone upper link and forego the panhard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    Instead of 4 link + panhard, you might want to consider a wishbone upper link and forego the panhard.
    That's the plan, sort of. I'm going for a triangulated 4 link. I think I know what you mean about a wishbone upper link, but I'm going to run with two individual links on top mostly because I don't have a way to bend or weld the tubing I'm using for the links. I'll get some close ups of the the welds on the trailer, but the welder I've been using does not have the touch to weld light guage tubing.

Erich
    Last edited by Erich_870; 10-12-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Grammer ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    Thanks

I'm going to tow it behind my mt. bike. There are several duck hunting areas that are hike in only, but they have very good trail access. I actually built a PVC prototype in college that I used until it finally broke one morning and it took me all day to get back to my rig

Anyway, I've seen several options where people have used rope or plastic coated cable to loop the bike's seat post. Eventually I want a system like the lock n roll that is tight and doesn't rattle or feel sloppy.

Erich
    If I can dig up the article I will scan it for you. If I recall, it was a decent design and would allow you to hook and unhook it from the bike using the air compression coupler.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics