Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Cart Fabrication Questions

This cart is going to have a suspension so I've been working on making some spring perches. The springs are 10" and the wheels are 20" dia so I need to get some room to flex. I haven't decided if I need a block on top and bottom yet.

Here's the first one.

I found these "U" bolts from cable clamps. They work pretty well, but it was trial and error to find where they need to be to match the spring.

Here's some more material for the trailer

Those are some L-O-N-G springs! This is a cool build!

I have this image in my head and an accompanying noise - the noise sounds like 'boing, boing, boing'.....

Should be interesting to see the result!

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Work is killing me right now so it looks like I'll only have time to work on it one day a week (Sundays). We'll see how long this pace keeps up.

Erich

Well after almost 6 straight weeks of work, we are finally slowing down for the winter.

I've made quite a bit of progress since last time I posted. I have probably 2 evenings of work left and I can take it on a trail run. 2 feet of snow might delay that though.

I have added some new tools to my garage to help speed things up and ease my perfectionist nature.

Here's some pics.

Here I'm tapping the axle to attach the bottom spring perch.

This is the first rivet for the frame structure.

This is one of the perches for the suspension links.

The frame laid out for inspection by my supervisor

The frame all riveted together, upside down with the springs and axle set on in place to see how it looks.

A close up of the suspension. You can see the two perches. The one on the upper right of the pic has a heim joint in it. the other heim joint is on the rod at the bottom middle of the pic. I was getting an idea of the length of rod I need. I still need to drill and tap the bottom perch.

This pic was actually taken before I started the frame, but it shows the basic design for my trailer. There are no suspension links yet.

Let me know if you see something wrong with my suspension set up. It's nothing fancy, but I don't want any surprises when I test it.

Erich

I'll be interested to see your link layout. I'll bet it's LIGHT!!!

Erich,
    I don't understand something. It appears in the pic that you are doing a panhard bar. That will allow the rear end to travel upwards, but on a arc that will push the axle out to one side. I assume you are also using trailing arms to limit fore/aft travel? Will you be using shocks to dampen the travel? Otherwise, that cart will be jumping off the road, as the stored kinetic energy is released by the relaxing of the compressed spring.

If you wanted to keep the axle under the cart, and still allow vertical motion, you may want to use what is called a "track Bar" instead of the panhard bar. A track bar would mount from the left front (frame) pivot to the right rear (axle) pivot position. You would mount these right on the trailing arms, as close to the pivot points. It will keep the axle centered throughout the travel.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Lets see if I can make a picture....

See that bar that mounts to the left front??
    That will hold a 7 second car @ 200 mph, so I think the cart should be fine !
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs View Post
    Erich,
    I don't understand something. It appears in the pic that you are doing a panhard bar. That will allow the rear end to travel upwards, but on a arc that will push the axle out to one side. I assume you are also using trailing arms to limit fore/aft travel? Will you be using shocks to dampen the travel? Otherwise, that cart will be jumping off the road, as the stored kinetic energy is released by the relaxing of the compressed spring.
    That's correct. I've found some small shocks that I'll get if the trailer is TOO squirly, but I was thinking of lawn and garden trailers and boat trailers, most do not have shocks. I plan to pull this behind my Mt. bike, or walk along with it. I know I won't need shocks when I walk with it, we'll see about behind the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs View Post
    If you wanted to keep the axle under the cart, and still allow vertical motion, you may want to use what is called a "track Bar" instead of the panhard bar. A track bar would mount from the left front (frame) pivot to the right rear (axle) pivot position. You would mount these right on the trailing arms, as close to the pivot points. It will keep the axle centered throughout the travel.
    I'm open to any ideas, I just don't know how I would attach a track bar with the right geometry since my frame is flat. I don't have the arch in the back like the muscle car frame in your illustration (which I appreciate you for showing, as I'm a very visual learner )

Erich

any updates? was this ever finished?