Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_horse
get your self a ABCD rated fire extinguisher
They don't make a such a thing. You mean a ABC rated. D rated is for combustiable metals. It uses completely different types of materials. And they are prices. We only got 4 total of them at the fire house. About 20 for abc and water at the FH.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2xs
Flash from the memory bank:
4 years ago, a friend down the street was working on pulling a gas tank out of a car. The tank pulled the lead light to the floor, as it dropped. It WAS incandescent. As a result, it broke the bulb and lit the fumes from the tank, creating a fireball. The guy COULD NOT open the door to escape for almost 30 seconds!!!! He had a solid man door, and could not get to the overhead. He know keeps a heavy bar with a leash near the man door, so he can "break his way" out. He ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Destroyed his shop.

He is 100%now and has a new shop. Funny part, is he won't do any more gas tanks, for some odd reason...
Thats why I only buy diesel powered anything anymore. The trucks, lawnmowers, bobcats, tractors, welders are all diesel for my employees safety. Its worth the extra $2000 to $5000 for the diesel engine option, since my insurance would go way up other wise.

Personally I have a 12 by 15 shop with really a 8 by 10 work area if that. The whole thing has a 2 hour fire rated sheet rock, fire door, two 15 lb halon sprinker systems. Two 2.5 gallon water extinguishers. Two 15 pound ABC extinguishers. One 25 pound CO2 extinguisher. Its in my house and I live 3.5 miles from the fire house. I guess its my degree in fire safety causes me to be a little paranoid.