Thread: Lithium-Ion

Lithium-Ion

Anyon have or use the new Lithium-Ion cordless tools on the market? Any preference in the Makita or the Milwaukee? I'm thinking about sellling my 18v Ni-Cd Makita, second chager and spare batteries to offest the costs of one of the new kits? I'd like to hear opinions.

Rick

Re: Lithium-Ion

I didn't know Makita was offering a Li battery setup now. Did they phase out the NiMh (black) batteries? I also have a 18v NiCd (orange) Makita - ealier this year, I picked up two new batteries on closeout at Lowes for like $25 each. It's like a new drill now.

I never tried it, but I heard that the NiMh (black) batteries worked iin the old NiCd drill and charger.

What do these things fetch used? I'd hold on to it if at all possible. I have a 14.4 DW rt angle and 9.6 orange batt Makita that get used with the 18v at the same time generally. (not two fisted, but damn close...)
    Last edited by Cebby; 12-06-2005 at 06:49 PM.

I mis-typed. I have the Ni-Mh drill. I've seen them going for around $120 on ebay. I've also seen charger and battery combos for over $100. Makita's L Ion kits is an 17 Volt kit where as Milwaukee's is 28 Volt. Drill wise they are both 1/2" hammer drills. I belive the Makita puts out 560 in. pounds of torque while the Milwaukee puts out 600. the Makita kits comes with the drill, circular saw, impact gun, flashlight plus a rebate for a free recep. saw. for $629?? The milwaukee kit comes with the drill, circular saw, recep. saw and flashlight for $759???

I like to see if there is a noticeable difference between the two. There is a big difference in price, and I am wondering if 10 volts is worth that??

See this post. http://toolandfab.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=15

Maybe Jesse can give you some more feedback on the Milwaukee. I've used both Milwaukee and Makita cordless extensivvely over the years. They are both quality units. My personal preference is Makita, but I don't really have a reason to not like the Milwaukee - I just sort of like the Mak stuff a little more.

I just wish someone besides Dewalt would come out with a battery powered grinder.

i dont know if it is too late but home depot is having a special on the mikita lithium ion drill/driver and impact. buy one get the other for free. it would end up being like $270 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by gdf_77
    i dont know if it is too late but home depot is having a special on the mikita lithium ion drill/driver and impact. buy one get the other for free. it would end up being like $270 i think.
    That is a smokin' deal. Maybe its time to add another 18v to the stable....

so how do these lithium ion tools compare to a regular 18v NiCd battery? lasts longer between charges?

I ended up buying the Makita kit from HD. I use the impact gun, and drill all the time. I actually use the impact gun more than my air tools. The only time I use my air tools now is when I need a lot of torque. The drill definately has more power and speed than my previous M-Force drills. The saws and flashlight drain the battery quickly, but the drill and impact gun seem to run forever.