Garage Accessory Wish List

No matter what you put in your garage you always find something that you missed. Why not make your suggestions to a Wish List? Besides helping yourself, you will help others build their dream garage. If you see, or know of a good idea for a garage or an accessory, why not just add it here.

The one thing that I aways wanted in my garage was a drive-on lift. Apparently, my son was taking notes, when he built his garage with a 12 ft walls to accomodate his Eagle four post lift. I had occasion to use it (working on his car) and found that I could use a few accessories: one, would be a jack at each wheel station to aid in shock or wheel removal, two, a light box for fluorescent lights that would sit below the floor covered with 3/8 plexiglas to illuminate the bottom of the vehicle without dragging an extension lite around, third, air line quick disconnects at all four corners of the lift, fourth,a rolling drain pan for catching fluids.

One of the reason why a drive on lift, was because center lifts are always in the way for transmission,exhaust work, painting, and floor pan repairs.

I like to have ceiling-hung air, electrical, and trouble lites that are all on retractable reels, but the one thing I still haven't found was a 'suction' line. Its something we could all use, like cleaning out antifreeze from intake manifold cavities when you change a thermostat gasket or gas from a fuel filter, or searching for an oil leak, removing crud from a bolt hole. Besides being able to suck up the usual fluids, I would it to remove small filings and drill turnings, pick up a bolt or nut that I dropped in a inaccessible spot.

Every garage should have a separate dirty area. A place where you can bring in a motor block or fender, spray it with solvent, aggitate it, power wash all the crud down a central drain, blow it off, take it to the adjacent cubicle to sandblast loose paint and rust, before repair or paint. A Machining area with ALL the tools (use your imagination) including a small forge in the corner suitable for heat treating, bending, and early evening cookouts. A Final Assembly area so clean, lint free and spotless it would make a hospital operating room seem dirty, to assemble and paint my completed projects.

I think that every garage should have creature comforts, not only a couch, microwave and a coffee pot, but real comforts, like a locker room with a shower. A place where your wife can put out a couple of changes of clothing, a nice hot shower before you head into the house would be a nice starter. A telephone is good, but a tv with cable and internet access, to order up new parts, look for a wiring diagrams or call for assistance on an auto forum, would be much better. I think each shop should have sound; stereo, so you can hear the tunes no matter which corner of the garage that your in. Remote headphones, for those after midnight car repairs! And, last but not least, every man should have a chair, a barber's chair with tilt, foot rest, hydralic height adjustment, and a beverage holder. You have to have something comfortable when your contemplating your next project! I know a lot of you were thinking massage table, but that would be a bit overboard, don't you think?

Well, that's what I would like in my dream garage, how 'bout you?

Re: Garage Accessory Wish List

FABRICATION TIME !!!

Well, as far as the suction device, you know you COULD build one for less than $50.00, right?

Based on Bernoulli's principal of the venturi (sounds like a Holiday Inn Express commercial, huh?)......

Take a 3/8" pipe T On the top of the T, install a reducer to fit the LARGEST air blower you have. The idea is to have the air blower blowing straight through the T. Most blowers come with a 1/8 NPT fitting.

On the bottom, use a 3/8" hose barb, and a length of gas line (fuel injection line works better, less likely to collapse) for suction

On the other side of the Top of the T, use a 3/8" barb fitting along with some vinyl tubing (no worrys over collapsing). You can have this line go into your shop vac, or any receptacle that you can filter. Trash cans with a vent hole, filtered with some cheesecloth for example.

You could use a gate valve or anything like it, but the air blower is easy to handle and would work pretty good.

For the lift accessories....
    I have an Autolifters M-80. I made a sliding jack tray by taking a 12" Channel, and welding a 3"x3"x12" x 1/4" Angle to each end.
    The flange of the channel is 3". I welded the angle with one leg of each angle pointing out, away from the channel. The leg of the angle rests on the runners of the lift. To do it over again, I would have the open part of the channel facing down.
    For BackYard Buddy's, I would build them just like the manufacturer does.
    Quick easy projects.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

Thanks for the tip, Driven!

I was at the hospital recently and I had a chance to look at their suction container that hangs off the wall of the hospital rooms. It has an in and out line at the top of the container and a stem running from the top downward. There is a wadded guaze filter at the end of that stem. Off the top lid there is a suction line about 3/8 and a neat suction valve on the end that is finger operated. All the gobbly gook is sucked up thru this tube and drops into the container. And, no, they don't give samples! I asked.

Jack idea is similar to what I built for mine.

I have quiet the few tools in my shop, but there are a few more things I dream of:

1: A toilet, everytime I go down there I gotta use the toilet. Even if I use it before I go when I get down there i gotta use it again

2: Hard pipe air lines on one side of my shop, I'm sick of putting back 60 feet of hose back

3: A buffer wheel

4: If I had more room I'd build a little office with a chesterfield, computer, TV and radio. Plenty of room for books

Charlie-
    Urinal or toilet? Urinals are about $120 at Home Depot. Just scored one where they special ordered it, and the guy backed out. $88 beans !

Get the one WITHOUT a trap! Elbow through the wall, and elbow down into a drywell (bucket with gravel) outside. No smell, no mess. Every once in a while, toss a bucket of water in it, as urine crystalizes.
    Jeff

Scrap metal made....while you wait!

The difference between a difficult problem and an easy problem, is having the answer!

A few things I always wanted were-
    internet/computer.. I'm a very visual person.. So I find myself running in and out a lot....To solve this I did put a sink in my current garage. I would someday like a urinal also....Only other thing I'd like is a clean room, with a couch,tv/computer/fridge, etc.
    -Justin

More usable floor space.