PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your welding magnets clean

DoctorDuke
09-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Anyone have a trick to keeping these things (http://www.hobbytool.com/ProductImages/hobbytoolsmisc/welding%20magnet.jpg) clean?
I find that they pick up all the dust and shavings from cut'n and grind'n and become rather useless untill you clean them off which is not all that easy.

Cebby
09-30-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't have an answer, but I have the same problem. Most of the time, mine look like a fuzzy caterpillar until I run my finger/thumb down the edges and clean them (which usually results in a metal splinter or two)

Cebby
09-30-2005, 08:41 PM
I read somewhere that a few things work (no neat tricks though).

-air hose to blow them off outside
-wire brush (w/shop vac to suck up the debris)

Canadian Charlie
10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
The only way I know is with my fingers :fun_84:

SteveR
10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I just use my shirt and most of them come out.

TOMWELDS
10-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I just use a rag. Wipes 90% of it off and push's the rest to the other side that im not using.

markl
10-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Compressed air works great.

Cebby
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Last night I used worn out scotch-brite pad to clean miine off. It worked remarkably well. Couldn't use my compressor (twin tank portable) since my plug caught on fire last time I used it...:fun_84:

MXtras
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Funny - I don't have the same problem.:conf40:

Maybe that's because I got so tired of them picking up every darn thing they got close to that I don't use them anymore!

I got sick of messing with them. I will bust them out maybe once in a blue moon, but most of the time, I just use clamps. Not to mention, I mostly work with aluminum and I just couldn't get them to work all that great....:fun_84:

I used to blow mine off then wipe them off with a rag or my pants, but for the last several months I have been without air (new shop, no compressor) so the magnets are stuck to the back of the gas bottles, collecting dust.

Scott

mr.ed
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
You can grind out the rivets and install screws. This way when you take the sides off the chips fall off..

itsgottobegreen
02-17-2006, 12:01 PM
You can grind out the rivets and install screws. This way when you take the sides off the chips fall off..

Now thats a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stickbug
03-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Funny I was going to start a thread on cleaning magnets as I am fed up as well of fuzzy magnets. The idea of grinding out the rivots to replace with screws is an excellent idear:clap:

84ZMike
03-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I use brake clean and a rag.....gets them all and cleans up the red painted part as well.

TriHonu
11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Anyone have a trick to keeping these things (http://www.hobbytool.com/ProductImages/hobbytoolsmisc/welding%20magnet.jpg) clean?
I find that they pick up all the dust and shavings from cut'n and grind'n and become rather useless untill you clean them off which is not all that easy.

I just bought 5 of the Cen-Tech brand at Harbor Freight. They were on the clearance table for $4 per piece.

To remove the chips, just turn the switch to "OFF". Gotta love that! :clap:

Cebby
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
That's awesome! We have a HF here now.

Chopshopchopper
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Wrap in a plastic bag. Remove plastic bag with steel dust.

Ratfink
01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I keep them stuck to the under side of my welding bench, Takes care of 90% of the problem.

sak778
06-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Cover the magnet with silicone and let it dry then peel all the metal shavings off in the dry silicone. Repeat as necessary. YMMV Sean

Neuswede
06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I use a zip-lock bag to store them. If they get shavings or grinding dust on them, I use a wire brush (instead of my fingers) and the stuff comes off pretty easily. I like to clean them up after using them, so they go back in the bag clean and ready to go the next time they are needed.

The silicone is a good idea, but I try not to use the stuff around any of my cars or metal that will someday need to be painted (silicone fisheyes paint far too easily). For a shop where this might not be an issue, I think it's a great idea.

Neuswede
06-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Cover the magnet with silicone and let it dry then peel all the metal shavings off in the dry silicone. Repeat as necessary. YMMV Sean

Hey forgot to say :welcome: to the forum. I saw that your post was the first and you just joined us.

sak778
06-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the hello. You could try some elmers glue or rubber cement to keep the silicone contamination at bay. just about any thing you can spread and will harden and capture the shavings. i've used the wire wheel or a blast of shop air and it just sprays shavings all over my shop. I prefer to capture them and dispose, so i have room to make more.

MXtras
01-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the site!

It would be best to begin your own thread with your question but since we are here - I prefer Miller welders. As far as which one - lot of variables. Start a thread and you will get some advice.

Scott

VegasBruce
01-14-2010, 10:51 PM
You should show him all that BLUE paint. :coffee:

RaptorDuner
09-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I use the torch lit with the oxy trigger pulled with a fast back and forth action to clean the fuzzies off the magnets after I wiped with a shop towel. If you move fast enough the paint doesn't even get blemished. Been dong this for 15 years and still using some of my original magnets.

ponch37300
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the site Mr.Ed.

Think this is the first post in almost 3 months!