PDA

View Full Version : Welder to Dryer Outlet?

waskillywabbit
07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
I know enough about electricity not to mess with it myself other than plugging crap in. :clap:

My house is maxed out electrically, box outside has no more room, so I'd have to run another box to my garage to get 220 in there, so I'm thinking of just using the dryer hookup. I know the plug is more than likely different, but I am just going to make an extension cord to the garage, no more than 30-40 ft and that is generous, as the laundry room is right off the garage.

I've been searching online some, but found lots of garbled information.

More than likely I'll be getting a 210 range machine (recommendations?) but I'm not set on any particular brand. I have a Lincoln Pro 135 now that works great for the smaller/thinner stuff, but need something that will get better penetration on the beef.

What should I do and how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

:guitar:

Cebby
07-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Brian,

I have mine on a dedicated outlet setup for my MIG/TIG (actually have two locations to plug in ;) ). As long as the breaker and wiring on the washer outlet is big enough and you use the adequate guage wire for your extension cord, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe.

I'm using a 50a breaker in my panel on each of my outlets. My welders are a Millermatic 210 MIG and a Syncrowave 180SD TIG.

I'm planning an extension cord for mine so I can do some outdoor work. I'll be curious to see what you come up with for your extension cable/plugs. Would a pic of my outlet be helpful?

waskillywabbit
07-26-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm sure I can get some help from the guys at work, but I was wondering what other folks have done.

Thanks for the plug picture offer...but I'll figure it out w/ some local help and post up what I come up with that is functional and safe.

:guitar: