PDA

View Full Version : porosity trouble

Ted Cary
05-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Recently bouced up to a Lincoln 175 from a Lincoln 135. Been working 1/4 in steel with .045 flux core wire.I was haveing a real bad porosity problem, and couldn't see much with the .045 producing so much smoke. Just for the hell of it I turned on the gas, c-25, and slipped on my gas nozzle. The beads ran smooth with no porosity and I could see much clearer. Is this a nono , or is it ok?

garrett1478
05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
when i switched over to gas i had to change polarity and i use MIG wire. it welds really clean, but i never tried using flux-cored wire with gas...

BULLDOG
05-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Ted, when you were runnin the flux cored were you neg polarity? What flux core wire are you using?
Bulldog

oldred
06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Ted it sounds like you were mistakenly trying to use Duel-Sheild wire which requires sheilding gas and not a gas-less flux core. Duel-Sheild has a flux core and leaves a smooth slag covering but it will not work without gas. There are many types of this duel-sheild wire and it makes an excellent weld, far superior to the gas-less wire. This just about has to be the case since gas has little or no effect on gas-less flux core wire and certainly no benifit is to be gained from using it, it would just be a waste of money. What is the brand and name of that wire you are using?