PDA

View Full Version : Discuss.

Camarogenius
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
www.readywelder.com
I'm thinking real hard about it.

Cebby
04-26-2006, 10:17 PM
I want to get one for my 4Runner when I get 'er trailworthy... I know a couple of folks who have them - seem to be GREAT units!!

Trailer Rails
04-26-2006, 11:10 PM
What about carrying a O/A setup on the trail? You could cut and weld any metal. I am playing with my big O/A setup and trying to learn how to weld with it. I am thinking if I can get good enough I'll buy one of those small setups and carry it in the jeep.

MXtras
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Just be careful carrying acetelyne on the trail. That stuff is extremely unstable and can go Boom when you crack the valve open to use it - it is very sensitive to aggitation and sudden changes in pressure. It's a very dangerous fuel gas.

Do extensive research about the instability of acetelyne before you put too much thought into this, please.

Just some friendly advice.

Look into propane/oxygen. Not as much heat but MUCH more stable.

Scott

Trailer Rails
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Yea, good point. I have no experience using propane. I'll have to look into that. What about Mapp gas and O2? You can buy both in real small bottles at Lowes and the whole setup can be stashed into a small tool box. It might only be good for one or two repairs but that is ok by me.

MXtras
04-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Uhhh - I am the rookie on that one. No experience with Mapp. Sorry!

Scott

Trailer Rails
05-08-2006, 01:14 AM
I picked up this setup just for shits and grins(Mapp gas and O2). It does not cut very well but I think I might be able to weld soem decent stuff with it. If I can get a bigger tip for it it would work much better. I am trying to figure out if it will be usefull. Usally when I have to weld something it is a pretty heavy duty peice of metal. Maybe if I get a bigger O2 tank it would work better. The O2 is only good for 12min of cutting and 20min or so of welding.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/consumer/images/products/OX2550KC_sm.jpg

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=BernzoProd100044

eschoendorff
10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
IIRC, MAPP is a version of acy... just something to double check. MAPP will give you hotter temps than propane...

blaserman
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
This unit does not tale any gas, it is batteried powered. A couple of my 4x4 friends have this system and it works great on the trail.