PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Weld Pak 100 vs...?

Intrepid
03-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I hate to ask a noobish question but I need to make a decision ASAP.
I am looking to buy a welder for projects relating to my '85 4runner, bumpers, sheetmetal work, shock mounts, etc, etc, etc.

I know the general opinion on 110v welders and beleive me, if I had the funds and the space to use it, I would love to get a 220, however, I don't. I have limited funds and I rent, my landlord won't run 220 for a dryer, nevermind a welder. :rolleyes: Anyway, I had a bumper on my Taco that I used and abused that was welded with a cheap $200 Walmart welder and it held up to snatch recoveries, dragging over rocks, etc, so I figure I can make due with the 110.

Now that the explaining and excuses are out of the way...I had put aside about $500 for a welder, I read and searched and planned to get a Hobart Handler 135, which seemed to be in about that range and seemed to be a decent welder, able to do the work I would need, however, a friend found out I was looking for a welder and gave me one, it is an old Lincoln Weld Pak 100, but it needs some repairs, the line speed is messed up, the line speed knob is snapped off, and there are a couple small parts that it needs like a new tip, etc. Here is where I finally get to the big question, will the Lincoln do what I need it to do? Will it do it well enough?
I will pay to repair it or have it repaired at a local welding place, but I don't want to spend the $100 or more to do that, get it home, use it a little, then find myself wishing I had a better welder, because at that point, my welder fund will be down $100 or more plus the cost of the mask and gloves, and it will take time to get it back up. Not to mention that telling my wife I need to spend more money to buy another welder will not go over too well. So I need to make the best decision first, do I say thanks but no thanks to the Lincoln and go buy the Hobart or do I repair the Lincoln, thank god for it, and spend the rest of the money on truck mods?
Also, if this welder will not perform as well as I need it to, is there a better option within my $500 max price range than the Hobart Handler 135?
I need to decide soon because the season for working on my truck in the driveway is upon us and I have a friend eager for some welding on his new trail rig too. So I want to get moving on this, only a couple months before this years first trip to Paragon.

Intrepid
03-15-2006, 06:36 AM
bump...:coffee:

Cebby
03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Did you get an estimate or maybe call a Lincoln dealer to see what the repairs might actually be? With the number of thing you are describing, it doesn't sound like the welder was taken care of (or maybe it was dropped). Either way, I'd pass on the 100.

I would keep my eye out for a used 135. I sold my Lincoln 135 with tank and cart for $400 last year. Gas MIG will give you better results than the flux core machines you are considering. BTW, on Hobarts site it is either a 125 or 140 (not sure if a 135 is an old model), but their 125 needs to have some conversion kit to run gas MIG.

My 135 gave me years of good service - never a problem, but I took good care of it. The 135 machines come up for sale more frequently than the larger machines on the used market I've noticed (folks upgrading etc)

Intrepid
03-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Oops, yeah, I meant the handler 140, I was considering a Millermatic 135 also, I mixed them up. :fun_84:

I am going to drop it off for an estimate Saturday (I work too late to get there any other day) at a local welding supply/repair place.

I am new to welding, I learned back in high school and haven't done it since. There is a tech school nearby that I can take classes at night, I might do that. Otherwise, I will just double check safety procedures and practice a lot.
Will using gas get me a stronger weld or better penetration or only a cleaner weld? Also, since I will be working outside with possible wind etc, would it be better to stay with flux core or go mig?

I am definitely leaning towards ditching the lincoln and getting something new/used but good condition, mainly because, as I said, I don't want to waste money on it, but also because I don't think I want to deal with the issues someone else created by not taking care of it.

Driven2xs
03-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Whatever you buy, be sure it has the gas. Fluxcore sucks for sheetmetalwork. Its OK for thicker metal,but you will NOT be happy with it for sheetmetal. Take your time and look for deals. EBAY also has some good deals, as well as your local Swap papers. You MIGHT fall into a real good deal.

Intrepid
03-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Whatever you buy, be sure it has the gas. Fluxcore sucks for sheetmetalwork. Its OK for thicker metal,but you will NOT be happy with it for sheetmetal. Take your time and look for deals. EBAY also has some good deals, as well as your local Swap papers. You MIGHT fall into a real good deal.

I could buy a MIG conversion for the Lincoln for $99, plus the tank of course. So that isn't a big deal, really, I just need advice from anyone that has some knowledge about the weld pak 100, if it is not a good welder, or at least, not good for what I want it for, then I can't afford to waste money on it. But if it will keep me as happy as the Hobart once it is repaired, then I would gladly keep it and save some money.

Cebby
03-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I guess knowing what the repairs to the 100 will cost will ultimately sway the decision - if it were me, I'd go for something else (125/135/140). eBay is a good call for fiinding deals. I found the Hobart 140 on there reconditioned for $380+22 shipping. That would leave enough for a bottle and some consumables for under $500 (or close to it) I bought both of my currrent welders on eBay - my Millermatic 210 MIG (new) and my Syncrowave 180SD TIG (used).

Intrepid
03-15-2006, 01:48 PM
I guess knowing what the repairs to the 100 will cost will ultimately sway the decision - if it were me, I'd go for something else (125/135/140). eBay is a good call for fiinding deals. I found the Hobart 140 on there reconditioned for $380+22 shipping. That would leave enough for a bottle and some consumables for under $500 (or close to it) I bought both of my currrent welders on eBay - my Millermatic 210 MIG (new) and my Syncrowave 180SD TIG (used).

Yeah, that is basically it. I was looking at a new Hobart 140 on ebay for $480 plus free shipping, thats not a bad deal either.

Driven2xs
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Personally, I would stay away from investing more money in the 100. Not enough amps to do most jobs. Go with the 140amp!