best way to cut this

I have a peice of 3/8" thick steel 20" by 20" that I need to make 4 "cuts" in. I need to start in the corners and remove a 1/2" wide slot towards the middle, stopping about 2-3" from the middle. The cuts will be roughly 11" long by 1/2" wide threw 3/8" thick steel.

I don't have a oxy torch. The tools I have are grinder, air cut off tool, porta band(don't think this will work, not deep enough of a cut), dewalt multi saw(this is 14" and would give a nice straight cut for most of the way but don't think I will get 11" out of it), circular saw with metal blade in it(kind of leaning this way, set up a guide and make multiple passes for each cut).

The other option is taking it somewhere to get done but I'm not big on paying others to do things. My thinking is that I can use that money to buy a tool to do it myself! So what do you do you guys think is my best option here?

After a long winter of not working out in the garage and spring projects I'm going to get back to the rim clamp tire changer I started last year! Hoping to change my first tire sometime this summer!

Re: best way to cut this

I think it really depends on how clean you want the cuts to be.

The circular saw will do it (eventually) but you are going to go through a boat load of blades and throw a ton of sparks.

Plasma cutter would be the ideal way here I think.

Call around and get a quote on getting it done versus buying 30000000 circular saw blades.

Edit: I was just thinking that you could do a series of holes drilled in a line on a press then cut in between them.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

I would like it as clean as possible but also realise that perfection isn't going to come from the options I have.

I have thought about drilling a series of holes and cutting between them but I thought this wouldn't serve much purpose since I would be cutting on the very edge of the hole I would still have to cut most of the matirial with a saw.

I thought about it some today and think I am going to try and use my dewalt 14" multi cutter saw to get most way. This will leave a nice smooth cut. Then I will drill a hole where I want the cut to stop. Just guessing I think I would have somewhere between 2-4 inches left to cut. I think the circular saw with metal blade should be able to cut the rest. Not sure what speed is best to cut this metal but guessing from the slow speed of the chop saws slower is better. I have a skill worm drive saw that is geared down that is probably the best suited for the job. I was thinking of setting the depth to take maybe 1/8" or so cut each time.

Is there a 7 1/4" metal cutting blade that is better than others?

Sure wish I had the money for a plasma cutter that can handle 3/8" right now! I can dream for that some day.

When I am cutting metal or concrete with a circular saw, I just buy the cheapest (harbor freight) blades. I have purchased name brand ones and they wear away just as quickly.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

Get a Diablo blade from Home depot and cut away. I have cut 3/4" with them before. You can plunge cut in and have perfect lines.

Best if used on a worm drive saw. Blade is about $30 but works great. Don't be shy, push it through. I have a plasma and like the saw over the plasma for straight cuts.

Thanks Bob, I have a couple worm drive saws and also have a couple diablo blades but not a metal one. I still haven't cut this but have got a lot of good advice from others on this. Will be cuttingit sometime.

Bob - do you mean the Steel Demon? I'll have to try it on some sheet I have.

http://www.diablotools.com/blades-7.html
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks