advice on building a router lift for router table

I have been planning on building a new router table for some time now. I happened to come across 2 perske high speed spindles on craigslist, I really should not go on there any more! So now I am going to try and build a shaper out of one of the spindles. I am going to build the frame out of metal for strength and stability and I'm not sure about the top yet but will probably be out of wood.

My question is I need some help on designing a way to raise and lower the spindle height. I will need to make a carraige that mounts to the frame and can be raised and lowered by a screw. Not really sure how to do this accurately. I'm thinking about using some linear ball bearings on shafts to align the carraige and then a threaded shaft or ball screw to adjust the height. For the screw I think I am going to use a flange bearing mounted to the bottom of the table to hold the threaded rod in place and then just tap a hole in the carraige for the threaded rod and that should raise and lower the carraige unless I'm missing something. Haven't ever built a setup like this before.

So if anyone has some ideas or advice to add it would be much appreciated. Here are some pics of the spindles and a grizzly shaper table to show what I'm trying to accomplish. After this I might try and build a CNC router table with the other spindle but think that will be down the road a ways! Thanks, Scott

Well I was going to add pictures but guess I'm only allowed so many and I'm over my allowed amount!

Re: advice on building a router lift for router table

Quote Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
    Well I was going to add pictures but guess I'm only allowed so many and I'm over my allowed amount!
    I'll fix that pic thing.

I'm also in the market for a lift mech. of some sort. I have a Delta 3hp shaper now, but planning to get rid of it as I just don't have the room. I want to mount something under the large table board on my table saw.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Attachment issue should be fixed. There are limits on individual image sizes, but I raised the user limit.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Thanks for fixing the pic issue.

I picked the spindles up this weekend and I'm pretty sure they are to big for anything I could make. The guy said they were single phase but they are 3 phase and probably weigh around 200 pounds a peice. It is a 12 HP motor!

So I don't think I'll be able to use them for anything. I'm going to do some more searching and see if there is anything I can use them for and if not I'll sell them. Would be nice if I could build a nice super sized drill press or something but don't think my skills are up to that. These are deffinatly a nice motor/spindle and with a VFD would make a great heart for a router table or drill press but don't think that would be to much work to make them raise and lower.

Lots to think about! If anyone has ideas or advice on what to use these for let me know. Thanks, Scott

Attachment 727

Those are awesome spindles. I have run commercial routers with those same spindles.

As far as coming up with a motion system - cruise around on cnczone.com for lots of ideas.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thanks for the advice Scott. I tried to do as much research as I could before I bought them but didn't realise exactly how big these things were. I was on cnczone looking at cnc router tables and thought about one of them to but the linear motion rails are more than what would spend for one just to play around on in the garage, plus don't have the room for a huge table! I will search around there some more to see what I can find for lift for a normal shaper. I was thinking some sort of ball screw set up with some shafts/bearings to keep everything lined up but after finding out these things weigh just under 200 pounds I think I need something more than that! I would still like to make a heavy duty shaper for woodworking since I was going to build a router table any way. I was going to buy a new bigger router to mount in the table anyway so if I can figure out a way to use one of the spindles it will have alot more power and be more accurate than a hand held router mounted in a router table. And so far these spindles have cost me a lot less than a new router, we'll have to see about the VFD and collets. So I'll keep searching and see what I can come up with but I think I'm going to try and sell the other one since I don't think there is much else I could build with it or use it for unless someone else has any ideas.

I've thought about looking into making a phase converter out of it. That way I will have a 12 HP phase converter and if I ever do decide I can use it for another project I will still have it. Not sure about how that would work being it is a high speed motor.

Scott-you wouldn't know anything about what I need for a collet or where a good place to buy them from is would you? I've tried searching for perske spindle collets and a bunch of other words but there isn't much out there on these spindles and especially not for this big of spindles.

Thanks for your ideas! Scott
    Last edited by ponch37300; 12-14-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Hummm..... I don't recall what collets those take, but I think they are specific to Perske.

Check out the following links:
    http://www.techniksusa.com/wood/din6388.htm
    http://www.vortextool.com/index.cfm?...category_id=85

I might be interested in taking one of these off your hands if you are interested in selling one. Please don't make a phase converter out of one - this would be a huge waste of a very capable spindle.

E-Bay would be a goo dplace for collets and caps, I would guess. They aren't gonna be cheap, though.

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 12-14-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Thanks for the link Scott. I'm not sure what shipping would be but would think it would be pretty expensive from Wisconsin to you! I drove down to DC about a month ago and could have delivered it if we had this conversation then!

The phase converter was just tossing ideas out there. After some more searching I could probably sell this and get a nice VFD for a phase converter.