Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Chop saw vs. Cold saw

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
    That seems pretty sweet. I don't know how slow a cold saw should be, but that seems reasonably slow.

No coolant used would lead me to believe that the blade won't last long on steel.

FWIW, I use my DeWalt (wood) miter saw on Alum with a fine tooth blade with very good results.

Also, I picked up a Jet 5 x 8 Horiz Band Saw - my results with it have been "OK". Not overly impressed with it.
    I've seen contractors using wood miter saws for aluminum too. I've just been to chicken to try it with mine! I'd need to pick up a new blade though.

What's not impressing you with your Jet band saw?!

I'm still hoping to pick up one of these cold cut saws if the tool fund is ever fully funded again

Erich

Partly my fault on the band saw - pump for coolant is fried (Craigslist screwover), so I've just been spraying WD 40 on the cut. Need to fix that and adjust it a little and I'm sure it will be fine.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    I've seen contractors using wood miter saws for aluminum too. I've just been to chicken to try it with mine! I'd need to pick up a new blade though.

Erich
    It works fine. The saw may not hold up for numerous years, but the quality of cut is fantastic if you have the correct blade.

I've been using a direct drive DeWalt compound miter saw for cutting aluminum for over 7 years without issue. You just have to keep the chips out of the motor - a task that a nylon stocking does fairly well.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    It works fine. The saw may not hold up for numerous years, but the quality of cut is fantastic if you have the correct blade.

I've been using a direct drive DeWalt compound miter saw for cutting aluminum for over 7 years without issue. You just have to keep the chips out of the motor - a task that a nylon stocking does fairly well.

Scott
    Scott,

What blade do you use and what wall thickness are you cutting?

I have a couple alum tubes I need to cut;one is 0.375" and the other is 0.125" wall thickness. You think that's too much?

Erich

Those thicknesses are fine. I was cutting a 5 core hollow that measured 80 x 100mm that was about 5 lb per foot (essentially 1/4" and 3/8" webbing throughout) without an issue - made a lot of cuts of this thickness on a job site and the cuts were perfect.

I use an 80 tooth fine trim blade. (I used a DeWalt woodworking compound miter saw)
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks