In the market for a shop press

Not sure what all to look for - I've been researching - it looks like the ones with an electric pump, etc are probably out of my reach ($).

I've been liquidating my woodworking equipment to make room for my 4Runner and other more mission critical stuff, so this and a big compressor are the priorities..

Not sure what all I'll use it for, but I do know that I want to use dimple dies for some of the stuff I'll be building as well as using it as a press brake for forming brackets. Probably pressing bearings and other automotive uses too - I think you get the idea.

I've read that I should be able to get by with a HF 20-ton, but that's generally not how I roll (made in China AND just getting by).

Air over hydro would be OK too, although that drives up the cost - I've heard that you get a better feel with using a manual pump - can't attest to this myself though.

Is there a brand that is a good bang for the buck, but has quality too? and what tonnage should I look at - I don't want to get a 20t and find it isn't enough. I don't want to say this should be the last one I buy, but it shouldn't come up short int he capacity department any time soon.
    My vehicle sites: 1993 Toyota 4Runner & 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

Re: In the market for a shop press

My vote goes to building one. You would get exactly what you want this way and a simple H-frame press is a pretty simple thing to construct.

I also vote for the hand pump. I have used pretty much every type of press there is and for a lot of things I prefer a hand pump. The electric pumps are nice, too but for bearings and stuff like that, you don't get the dexterious feel that you do with a hand pump and a guage.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

It is a piece of equipment that is on my short list too Cebby. Honestly, there are a ton of people out there that say the one from HF is just fine. The only issues I have read about the HF one is that the hydraulic cylinder is not the greatest and those complaints were far and few. I don't think you could build one for even close to the cost of the HF one.
    Glenn H. Shelton III
    My Garage Pics

With all the shops going out of business, I went with a nice quality built used press and spent $75 to but it and bring it home. After clean-up, adding my shade of red paint, some new hardware and a new air/hydro unit with remote switch. I have less than $130 in it and it works flawlessly. You can go the HF way too, but there are alot of excelelnt bargains out there is you shop around. I also picked up a ZEP 50 gal. parts washer ($1500 unit) for $75, too. Shop around....your money will go alot farther than you might expect it to.

I'd check Craigslist. They seem to have good deals now and then if your not in a hurry. Every so often I see a shop closing down, here in town.
    Bruce

A craftsman is someone who does a better job than anyone thinks is necessary.

www.4x4mecca.com
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

I've been scouring CL for the last few months. Surprisingly, shop presses don't come up much around here - not sure why. As far as building one, everybody that I've seen who has built one has had advice of buying one due to the time and expense they put into homebuilt. Besides - you've seen how slow my projects progress (I can't even use the word "progress" without laughing to myself)

I also want a parts washer but haven't been checking CL for that (adds to list of searchs... )

Any idea on tonnage? I actually stopped at a HF tonight and the 20t press is tiny - I was expecting something taller than me. I found a press with no cylinder for $50 - they can't tell me what the rating is - I guess 40t would be somewhere to start. There's a 30t Carolina (new for $600) on CL, but I can't justify that expense. Under $200 sounds appealing if I can stumble onto a deal.
    Last edited by Cebby; 10-15-2009 at 11:54 PM.

**NEW** - UZswap.com - a site dedictated to sharing tech about swapping Toyota V8's into 4Runners and Trucks

20T minimum if you are only going to have one press. Lots of variables on this, I guess.

50T would be good for anything you will ever want to push unless you work on heavy equipment or big trucks.

Scott
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

This one doesn't look too big (ie not big enough)- trying to find out size... Calling it a bearing press leads me to believe that it isn't very large.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/1422710071.html

That one looks pretty small with the size of the cylinder and the frame sides.

One thing I have been doing on craigslist is posting wanted adds in the tools section. I placed one for a lathe and got around 20 replies in the first week. I just did this for an electrical motor and got about 10 responses so far. Think people read the add and realise they have something they can sell.

Another nice site I've found is www.searchtempest.com . They let you type in your zip code and how far you want them to search and then they search all the craigslist postings in that radious. It is a nice feature instead of checking a bunch of different craigslist adds.

Goodluck with your search.

This is one of my next purchases/builds. I'll probably end up building one just because I like building whatever I can for tools. And I can make it custom for what I want.