Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rim clamp

Re: Rim clamp

looks like alot of good work going on there....

Thanks Neuswede. Lots of thinking to get everything to work, I see why they charge a couple thousand dollars for rim clamps!

Got the gearbox and tube/bearing assembly mounted good today. Lots of angle to support everything so it can take the stresses of turning a tire. Need to find metal for the turntable, might take a trip to the scrap yard in the morning and see if I have any luck finding something. I'm kinda at a stand still till I get that so I can get working on the clamping system. I have a pretty good idea on this and have the air cylinder to open and close the clamps and also have the clamps so it will just be putting everything together.

Here's a couple update pics, think I'm running out of allowed pics so might have to figure out how to put them on a photo site and put link on here.

Attachment 717

Attachment 718

Attachment 719

Attachment 720

I have a little first hand knowledge of the process; I am in the sales department for a company that sells vintage car and truck tires. Unlike many tire companies, all of our sales staff actually can and do mount the tires we sell, so we have first hand knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

For bigger tires, especially truck and trailer tires, $25 to mount and balance is a bargain. As a rule, we will not mount any tires we don't sell. The reason is because the installer is responsible (although some tire stores forget this important point) for any damage done to the tire when mounting it. For tube type tires, and especially those requiring an inner flap to protect the tube, you can easily take 30 minutes to get it right without any damage. So for the really difficult wheels, such as split rims or lock ring type, you can easily have 2 hours in 4 tires. $100 hardly pays for the shop time and labor costs, plus the depreciation cost on several thousand dollars worth of equipment.

Some shops will simply mark up their cost on jobs they simply don't want to do. On some jobs that are just too ugly (rusty riims, or ones in unsafe condition), we have to charge more to pay for out time. I can easily sell several thousand dollars worth of tires in an hour on the telephone, compared to maybe $100 of shop time mounting 4 tires, so the math is pretty simple.

I've had customers DRIVE to our store from as far away as Michigan, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, West Virginia and Virginia to have their tires mounted by our shop because no one locally could do the job without damaging their stuff. I've also had customers ship their wheels to us for mounting of our tires from as far away as California, Georgia, and more recently this summer from a guy in the Canary Islands off the coast of Spain.

The guy in California thought he had a RARE 15-1/2 inch rim, told to him by a local shop in Califormia, after he had purchased 15 inch tires. After several phone calls, I convinced him to ship everything back to me to have a look. The RARE 15-1/2 inch rims were actually old Dodge steel artillery wheels, in 16inch size. Not so rare, and not so hard to measure when you know how and making another happy customer.

Whatever you do with the tool after it's built, PLEASE check out some of the safety guidelines for mounting tires, if you haven't done it before. This is especially true if you do anything with lock ring type rims. They earned the name "Widow Makers" for very good reason, and should not be aired up without a safety cage or ring retention chains in the event the ring decides to part company from the rim, taking any of your extremities or head from your shoulders!

I hate to beat the whole safety thing into the ground, but there are just TOO many ways to hurt or kill yourself when playing with big tools (and even some of the small ones too, for that matter).

Love watching how your project is coming along...can't wait to see it in ACTION!

Marc

Marc, that is really neat that your shop is know for quality work and people are willing to ship from all over. Not to many shops are know for quality like that anymore.

I appreciate all the advice I can get, safety included! I've used an old coats center spindle machine a couple of times and used the harbor freight post a couple times but never a rim clamp. I don't plan on changing any lock ring rims but I will try and be as safe as possible when changing the tires. I bought the clamps and duckhead instead of making a makeshift one and it not working safe.

Thanks again for your advice and I'm always willing to listen, Scott