Another bearing question

Hi guys. I need some advice on what to use to accomplish this. I'm trying to build a turntable that can support a decent amount of weight. I'm not sure if a flange bearing will work in this situation or not and hoping someone with a little more experience and knowledge might be able to recommend ho to do this.

I'm going to make a base stand out of angle about 2' high and around 2x2' square. Here is a rough sketch to hopefully explain it a little better.
    Attachment 681

I was thinking about using a flange bearing where a 1" shaft comes threw the top of the stand but not sure if a flange bearing can take the downward pressure of the weight on the spinning table? The flange bearing I was looking at says they are rated for 3100 pounds of force in that direction but I believe they mean when mounted sideways not flat like I plan on doing? The issue I see is a lot of force pushing down on the bearing. Here is a link to the bearing I'm looking at http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1139/=3h1t7m . Item number 6664K24. I've also thought about using a "lazy susan" type of turntable but not sure if that will work how I want it to. I've also thought about putting a plate under the 1" shaft to support it and take the weight off the bearing?

Any advice on this will be much appreciated since I"m out of ideas!

Thanks, Scott

Re: Another bearing question

How much weight will be on the rotating part?

What's the prefered shaft diameter?

I assume you want to just use Cold rolled steel as the shaft, or could you have a step machined into the shaft?

The issue with the pillow blocks is that the clamping arrangement (set screws) typically are not meant for lateral loads. There are blocks and bearings available with tapered shaft lock collars, but these get a bit pricey.

So I assume you want this on the cheap?

Scott
    Last edited by MXtras; 09-03-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I wouldn't get anything done

Re: Another bearing question

Quote Originally Posted by MXtras View Post
    How much weight will be on the rotating part?
    up to 100 pounds or maybe a little more

What's the prefered shaft diameter?
    Doesn't really matter i guess, I was thinking 1" but that could be changed

I assume you want to just use Cold rolled steel as the shaft, or could you have a step machined into the shaft?
    I don't have a lathe to do a step but if this is an option I could call around and see if someone local can do this for me.

The issue with the pillow blocks is that the clamping arrangement (set screws) typically are not meant for lateral loads. There are blocks and bearings available with tapered shaft lock collars, but these get a bit pricey.
    This is what I was worried about!

So I assume you want this on the cheap?
    Well the less money spent the more for other stuff!

Scott

I am thinking about using the pillow and flange bearing combo and putting a 1/2" plate under the shaft to support the load? It's not going to spin fast so I think the metal rod rubbing on the metal plate will be ok.